APC Forum

Canister shell inserts.

TritonPyro

I am always getting great ideas from APC and. I wonder if anyone has any ideas for inserts for 4 inch canister shells. I have loads of tubes and plugs, but would like to see a delayed report of effect with my usual stars.
  • Like 1

Fulcanelli (in Pyrotechnica 9 and 11) is the classic text not only on canister shell making but also on traditional inserts. Timed reports however are handrolled in a bottomshot fashion and do not use premade tubes. Many more modern varieties of inserts are not covered by him though, or are just discussed without giving production tutorials.

I guess you could plug the tubes (solidly, don´t know if the usual end plugs will suffice) you have at hand, fill them with flash and use bickford type timefuse for producing a ring of equally or differently delayed salutes. The ring would be placed in the shell on the outside contacting the case liner or casing, then a canulle centered, and filled around the canulle with cut stars. These are just rough ideas. Fulcanelli may provide starting points. Testing the inserts before actually making the shell is a good idea.

Time fuse is not something I would use to be honest just use the delay composition (depth) it’s a simple tool you can make for the effect you require.

you want to make just report inserts, or something with an effect or something?

Take your tubes, fuse them with 3/4-1" of time fuse, throw in some stars and a some loose bp with a bit of flash. Make sure the plugs are glued in, and be sure to seal the ends up good. I usually pump the cavity from the paper plugs full of hot glue, covering the entire end for a solid plug.

My way would be to take your tube ram a clay plug with a 3mm hole for a pass fire bend a piece of Visco and place in the hole, now press this in to a composition of your choice the timing can be controlled by the depth of the clay plug. Next insert your micro stars and burst charge then press in by hand a plug of your choice personally I would ovoid hot glue.

10mm short tubes with plastic plugs ( Alex) Hi Mia!

In a 4 inch canister. Just tried winakur # 20 and was very happy with result.

Edited by TritonPyro

Take your tubes, fuse them with 3/4-1" of time fuse, throw in some stars and a some loose bp with a bit of flash. Make sure the plugs are glued in, and be sure to seal the ends up good. I usually pump the cavity from the paper plugs full of hot glue, covering the entire end for a solid plug.

My timefuse is just a bit more than 3 sec per inch, and 3 seconds seems a bit long for insert shells in a 4" shell. Not very ecperienced with them, but still.

Win20 is a great glitter!

Trying to make any kind of decent star shell inserts out of tubes that small is going to be near impossible. On the other hand, they would be fine for some report inserts, with a little Ti, a nice effect can be made.

That crappy tan fuse burns excessively slow. Most time fuse I see burn under 3sec/in I have stuff that burns 2, and 2.6sec/in. Timing really depends on when you want the inserts going off in relation to what else is happening in the shell.

Edited by psyco_1322

Win20 is a great glitter!

Trying to make any kind of decent star shell inserts out of tubes that small is going to be near impossible. On the other hand, they would be fine for some report inserts, with a little Ti, a nice effect can be made.

That crappy tan fuse burns excessively slow. Most time fuse I see burn under 3sec/in I have stuff that burns 2, and 2.6sec/in. Timing really depends on when you want the inserts going off in relation to what else is happening in the shell.

br

Would you like to see a video? 10mm inserts x seven Veline blue tail to break urea formaldehyde bound stars

10mm short tubes with plastic plugs ( Alex) Hi Mia!

In a 4 inch canister. Just tried winakur # 20 and was very happy with result.

Hi I guess you have the insert tool, saves money on time fuse it’s sort of like the maltase way. Hope you are well my friend

I started making inserts for a 3 inch canister today. Delayed reports.got go carried away I just need to spike the canister. Making the delayed reports was a lot of fun. A lot more than I thought I would. I did used time fuse on them though. i hot glued the top and then pasted around the fuse with gummed tape to make sure I get a report.

10mm inserts are pretty small for a 4" shell. I like to use about 25mm ID inserts. I make them "traditionally", rolling the casings out of kraft. I use time fuse because I like crisp timings. With ~25mm inserts you can fit 7 per layer. I've posted this shell before, it has 2 layers of 25mm inserts and a layer of 16mm reports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mczvCYEF78

WB

Very nice and great colours.

Yes, the vid captured them as best as posible. The colors were even better in person :)

Maybe you guys have different scattering stars where you're from, but I wouldn't describe a scatter star insert as anything that resembles a real report.

So what do you know as scattering stars?

I know em as a thin paper Tube which is sealed on both sides by a Star and in between them i a reportmade of slow flash. The whole device is fused like a M-80 (fuse is going into the flash).

So the flash ignites and propels both stars

All the ones I've seen used a similar construction with BP in the center instead of a slow flash.

Just want to share this shell/rocket thing I made and shot for this Easter.

What size inserts did you use?