APC Forum

Need help

dynomike1

I have kinda got two problems.

1. I have tried ring shells twice, I tried them once per Blesser's book didnt work, then i put them almost at the top of the plastic shell halve cant seem to get to do right.

2. I built three 1" plastic inserts in a three inch shell wrapped the Visco in air conditioner duck tape all but 3/4" then primed with BP. I cant seem to get them to lite. I used Rice hulls with 1g of flash on both shells. I think i covered everything.

Hey friend, I may have a few pointers for ya.

In my early years I had similar probs.

1st What size shells are you trying this with?

Second, how where you attaching the stars so they did not shift?

In my experience it is crucial to draw lines of the equator on each star ring( multi ring shells) on the outside of the shell. Ring shells with 3" and smaller are near impossible w/o many years of experience in making these effects.

*Start with a 4" shell 1st off, it's really the only one that small, I have achieved decent rings with. I like to use 1/4 - 3/8 round stars. The easiest way to attach the stars is using hot glue and glue a ring of stars at the equator of one hemi. The use of rice crispy burst is helpful and transfers fire better than packed rice hulls. Flash boost can be used but limit it due to the extra bp burst in the shell.

The use of inserts can be testy. I have found even well primed visco to not take fire on a hard break. Also keep in mind that the cheap visco tends to have a loose powder core. I prefer american red visco. It is best to razor split the fuse end( into a slight "y") and dip in a NC/BP dip, and a final dip in granulated bp. .

Trust me, these effects come with much practice !!! Dont be sad if your 1st few arnt working . Keep at it and your going to dial in the burst, primes and effects to perform the way you see it in your head.

Keep at it, it will pay off.

Let me know if this makes sense, and if there are other questions I can help with

Thanks that makes sense I used 3" shells .5" stares and i attached them with rice hulls i didn't glue them in. The stares lit but looked kinda like a Peony,some trailing others. If i get off work early i'm going to look for the inserts today. The inserts i used American green visco. I say again thanks sometimes it only takes a few words to fix things.

Cool, glad that kind of made sense for ya.

Also keep in mind that the hot glue is to keep the stars from shifting into the burst during packing and handling/shooting. The Chinese use tissue paper to make a sausage of stars then lay them into the shape ( like a smiley face) in the shell. At times they glue chip board into the shell hemis to hold these "sausages" from moving out of place when going for more detailed design in the sky.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm putting a 4" together, maybe to shoot tomorrow nite, well see what happens.