APC Forum

Difficult to find chemicals

kilnj69

I have looked everwhere and I can not find silicon powder or copper oxychloride. These are difficult to find chemicals here in Australia and online. There are alot of compositions using copper oxychloride from whistle rockets to stars .

But for the life of me I can't find any to buy, or infomation of where to buy it or make it. Also silicon powder used in stars, and used to prime them is just as hard to find. Just for shits and giggles this is all I can find.

yates copper oxychloride

You might want to look for alternatives. In my experience copper oxide blues are just as good as oxychloride ones, and there is nothing a good step priming won´t light.

If you want it for a whistle mix catalyst red iron oxide works just as well. The only noticeable difference to me was the red iron oxide made the sound louder and a little raspy. check ebay for both chemicals. You should have some luck plus sellers that will ship international.

You could even look into Copper Carbonate blues, they are usually just as good as the Oxide ones, and usually the two chems can be swapped with out much change to the performance. The carbonate might be a tad cheaper also. I do know that making blue stars from Oxychloride will get expensive fast, you really seem to use a lot of it up, and it's usually a bit more expensive.

Heya KilnJ, Ii get my Silicon & Copper Oxy from Diverse Hobbies (when available). My last batch of Silicon was from Pyro-stuff (search the net). All good and arrived in West Aust in about 8days. Cheers

I'm not sure if there are any in your area, but ceramics/pottery supply stores sometimes carry chemicals useful to us, specifically many oxides and carbonates.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

Thanks everybody, I have copper oxide and copper carbonate and have been using homemade red iron oxide for catalyst (getting the real stuff delivered today, i'll never use the whole kg :blink:). In the same order I got some bismuth trioxide and that's why I asked about the silicon, because in usapyro's dragon eggs there is silicon in the primes and I can't find any or is there a subsitute?

I am going to have a look at other formulas before I make any but it seems like silicon might be something I need, Thanks MrW I'll have a look at both of them.

Justin

Use some of your magnal as a replacement for the SI. 200mesh will work as a good replacement.