APC Forum

First successful 2oz BP rockets w/report

Bobosan

I've done a few headerless 2oz BP nozzled rockets before but today I had great flights with a 1 inch ball BP report. Once I added stick length to properly balance it out, they flew straight and true despite the breeze Cored fuel is 75/15/10 BP milled hardwood charcoal and report is approximately 3.5 gm milled Paulownia BP.

Couldn't fully track either one, especially with a tree in the way on #2.

http://youtu.be/t_1FU2hkJBQ

http://youtu.be/Lv1P8B0gOpU

Nice...but a few things to consider:

1) doesn't your fireplace lighter make you mad? :P

**I know it's made many mad just like me when it won't work. TS4000 or any torch will not only make things easier but safer for certain applications in the future**

2) why use the double lacquered waterproof visco in this situation?

I'd personally save this stuff for making waterproof items, and various other ground items where you want a high quality fuse.

Just curious is all...

Very nice!

Hoppy, some of us only use high quality stuff ;)

Edited by Algenco

nice, i just had succes with similiar size same design rockets. could you tell the dimensions of that rocket? or drawing? also what type, and time of delay was? sadly i don't know these oz and pound thingies. Edited by Oinikis

2oz rocket is .375 ID (9.5mm) by 3.5" (89mm). Report is just a spiked plastic 25mm ball shell half filled with BP, fused with visco via passfire hole in clay bulkhead.

@ Hoppy - You're right...need to invest in a self starting propane torch. Trying to use up some cheap gunshow visco I have on hand and save the better stuff.

I need to learn how to follow the actual rocket with cam instead of just the smoke trail. :blush:

post-14334-0-93204500-1364134678_thumb.jpg

nice. i think, if you would use longer fuse, and run further away, it would be easier to track.

Yes, agreed. Adding metals (Ti) to delay would also help tracking and maybe some flourescent paint. :P

I still have a lot of experimenting to do with these 2oz'ers and they are fun.

I need to learn how to follow the actual rocket with cam instead of just the smoke trail. :blush:

Nice rockets. Propane torch would be a good investment. It's probably one of the best items I've purchased. Good for fireworks, BBQs, soldering, etc.

I like making 2oz rockets this size. On mine I always have a small recess at the end so I drill my passfire like normal, fill that void with flash, and cover with a small square of tape. Makes a decent pop for a finish.

As far as tracking the rocket can you follow the rocket with your eyes and just have a hard time looking through the camera at it. If so you can hold the camera against your forehead. It looks a bit odd to bystanders but it will always see what you see through your eyes. I usually film like this to make sure I get what I want in the shot.

Edited by JFeve81

I've still got some of that American Visco I got from a gun show. I don't really care for it, the excess lacquer coating is annoying when it's burning off, and the fuse itself burns really drossy. It is quite durable fuse, extremely waterproof, and has quite the sturdy powder core. But just because it's water proof, doesn't keep it from being put out if you chuck something into the water, the splash of the fuse hitting the water can put it out.

While the TS4000 is a good investment, a nice jet flame pocket lighter will work just as good for lighting fireworks on a windy day.

Problem with jetflame lighters is they are butane. Not a big problem in warmer weather but don't work well in cold weather unless you keep them warm. I have a decent one ...even has a LED light.

If remember correctly, I only paid fifty cents for a hank of this visco at a show many years ago. When you look at it you'll see why. I had no idea what good visco was back then.

And here I have a nice 15 cue e-fire panel where I could just push a button. It just ain't the same as lighting that fuse and running like hell. :D

post-14334-0-46890300-1364252152_thumb.jpg

post-14334-0-12808100-1364252226_thumb.jpg

That's about what some of mine looked like. It still seemed to burn just fine, although I had a roll once that had a section where there was no powder in. I still prefer this chinese stuff I have in a big roll, it looks like a mini charcoal fountain when it's burning, gotta watch the fingers when lighting.

My lighter stays in my pocket all day, it's just one of the essentials I don't leave home without, like my knife, phone, and wallet. Then I usually don't shoot fireworks in temps much colder that 20F. I wasn't aware the cold weather affected butane lighters that much.

Edited by psyco_1322

Butane liquifies at -1C/31F. In cold temperatures, combined with the cooling from evaporation can cause it to liquify too much to sustain a flame.

I am not a fireworks expert, but how do you use a piece of visco for delay fuse in the rocket? I usualy just add enugh fuel above the spindle to work as a delay then add black powder or flash into the front end.

Insert and glue fuse into the ball shell first then insert fuse through bulkhead passfire hole so it touches delay. I didn't add any powder above bulkhead with these rockets.