APC Forum

Model rockets

kpknd

If you mean like the toy "Estes brand" type model rockets then yes. In my 8th grade science class we made sugar rocket motors. Blew many a rocket to shreds with them. Haven't tried making any BP motors for them though. It's something I've been wanting to do but haven't got around to yet.

I built a small rocket that will fly on 1/2" motors. I wanted to use some of my larger motors on rockets, but the local HPR club only allows certified, commercial motors.

i haven't seen any comercial motors. now i'm working on my tooling, to make motors.

I built a small rocket that will fly on 1/2" motors. I wanted to use some of my larger motors on rockets, but the local HPR club only allows certified, commercial motors.

When I used mine at the rocket club it was okay but they REEEEEALLY had kittens if I put a fuse in it. :o

When I used mine at the rocket club it was okay but they REEEEEALLY had kittens if I put a fuse in it. :o

Yeah, I can only imagine. There are a couple local guys who make their own, but they just have fly them at larger events than the local days. Next month, they have a full scale Patriot launching on an EX "P".

Yeah, I can only imagine. There are a couple local guys who make their own, but they just have fly them at larger events than the local days. Next month, they have a full scale Patriot launching on an EX "P".

Holy crap!!! That I would like to see.

Whats wrong with visco anyways? Just use a good amount. At my local HPR club, your still only 50 feet away from rockets, and people are ramming 3 lb rockets at the viewing area, 50 feet away!

Our club is a chapter of NAR, part of their safety code requires electric ignition and forbids anything but commercial motors. Tripoli clubs allow for "research" motors and independent clubs can do what they want.

Those rules are part of the reason hobby rocketry even exists in the US. I am sure Estes and Quest did some serious lobbying though in order to keep the motors classed as toys and not fireworks. Using visco would probably push them to the side of regulated pyro.

What gets me are the rocket guys that are so anti pyro. Some of them are pretty snobby about it and hate the experimental APCP motors too.

Edited by nater

• 3 weeks later...
Not only that but when the ATF decided that APCP was explosive and hobbyists could no longer have garage magazines, the clubs decided this was a great time to limit if not eliminate all scratch build motors, at least my club did. thats why I got into pyro in the first place, just to make motors.
  • Like 1