APC Forum

potassium chlorate question

BrightSpark

i see alot of you say stay away from pottassium chlorate

but alot of things im reading say is good to use but instable

my question is why should we stay away from using it if it works well and why not just add some sodium or pottassium bicarbonate ?

You said your studing chemistry? Then this shouldn`t be a real question for you.

The reason is that in KClO3 the Cl is +V which is less stable than the +VII in KClO4. This means that Chlorate has a higly incrased potential of Oxidising. The starting energy for this process is much smaller than for KClO4.

In pratice this means that if you using the right reducing agent small friction or static energy are able to start the reaction.

If you got the right teacher they should tell you the difference between this in "Inorganic Chemistry 1". There they may showed you the difference by using red phosphorus and different oxidising agent in a mortar. (Don`t even think about doing this by yourself). If you saw this you would sure understand the difference.

You said your studing chemistry? Then this shouldn`t be a real question for you.

The reason is that in KClO3 the Cl is +V which is less stable than the +VII in KClO4. This means that Chlorate has a higly incrased potential of Oxidising. The starting energy for this process is much smaller than for KClO4.

In pratice this means that if you using the right reducing agent small friction or static energy are able to start the reaction.

If you got the right teacher they should tell you the difference between this in "Inorganic Chemistry 1". There they may showed you the difference by using red phosphorus and different oxidising agent in a mortar. (Don`t even think about doing this by yourself). If you saw this you would sure understand the difference.

thanks for that just so you no yes i am study a bit of chemistry but it not what you think is a small subject that cover a small area its not in uni ether im no pro and also you cant just go ask people in australia these questions due to our government is stricked on pyro and people to talk to are very few and far between so just bare with me and my question :) thank again mate

Chlorate has some spontaneous explosion risks when mixed with Sulphur or phosphorus, and may have others. Chlorate was used for the first coloured flame compounds before perc was available, BUT this was a period with some very bad accidents. The S reaction is the big problem as BP used for lift and burst usually contains S. Sometimes sulphurless BP is used as a prime or buffer between Quick match and chlorate compounds compounds.

Weringart's book lists many chlorate formulae, some of which would now be regarded as too sensitive for continued use.

Perchlorate has many fewer incompatibilities so can be used for more compounds safely..

the chlorate/sulfur problems were from acidic sulfur.

Todays Sulfur is much more pure and that problem is a thing of the past.

I prime chlorate stars with BP nd haven't had any problems

Potassium chlorate still has it's share of incompatibilities and safety issues however. I'd generally advise people starting out in the hobby to avoid it until they're completely comfortable and proficient in the various common procedures and handling of explosive materials. While it's hazards may not be as big of an issue as it was 100 years ago, it's still not something that should be fooled around with or experimented with by someone lacking standard experience in my opinion.

Adding bicarbonates is not the answer to all sensitivity issues.

• Like 1

Yep, I meant to include the cautions Mumbles posted

The first time I made a batch of Agten chlorate blue (bp prime) I left them out behind the barn for 2 weeks worried there might be a reaction :ph34r: