APC Forum

Fixed my 1lb spindle.

kpknd

The rockets I was making with the tooling had little power so I took the spidle to a machine shop and had it turned down from a 3/8" nozzel to 5/16", great improvement in performance.

It was a good $10 investment.

Edited by kpknd

That definitely works too. Most people tend to adjust their composition to their tooling, but it can be done the other way as well. I'd keep an eye on the tooling. With an increased gap between the rammer and spindle, it can be more prone to getting excessive amounts of fuel inside the rammers and pinching the fuel which has been known to lead to accidents.

Another thing to note; is that if there is much of a gap between the spindle and ID of the rammer, the fine clay for a nozzle will drift up around the outside of the rammer when pressing the nozzle. This can lock the rammer into the tube with high pressure.

Care to guess how I know?

Edited by nater

That definitely works too. Most people tend to adjust their composition to their tooling, but it can be done the other way as well. I'd keep an eye on the tooling. With an increased gap between the rammer and spindle, it can be more prone to getting excessive amounts of fuel inside the rammers and pinching the fuel which has been known to lead to accidents.

That happens when moving up the spinle while adding each charge anyway.