APC Forum

Compairison test of BP rocket fuel

kpknd

I recently did a little experiment with the BP fuel I use for my rockets. My usual mix is 76.2 - 15.3 - 8.5

wich is a standard 75 -15 -10 with less sulfer. I milled up some 60 - 30 - 10 the same way as I do my usal fuel for an hour, then add a little motor oil and run it 15 more minutes to mix it in well (the oil is to help the fuel consolidate better and get rid of the dust, usualy 5gm per pound of fuel but used only 2 gm for the 60, 30. 10).

My conclusion is that the 60, 30, 10 is not as powerful as my standard fuel. It seemed to lask a little snort but otherwise worked fine. I conducted a column burn test using a 1/4" id tube with clay plug rammed in one end and then rammed 1" of fuel.

The fuel I normaly use burned for about 8 sec. and the 60. 30. 10 for about 6 sec. and with much less flame.

I would think a faster burning fuel would have more power but I guess it is not always so. It also seemed that less oxidiser should make it burn slower too. Oh well, thats rocket science.

You might want to check out Danny Creagan's web-site he has a lot of info on black powder and

whistle & strobe rocket fuels. He has many years of data archived on his web-site.