APC Forum

New Pyro Project

BJV

wow, thats awesome. are they filled with gas/air mix?

tried this with 10cm wide 20 cm tall can, but it barely poped, like wop, and flames went trought the botom. tried various mixes, but i have no idea what stachiometric ratio is. i used propane-butane. Edited by Oinikis

tried this with 10cm wide 20 cm tall can, but it barely poped, like wop, and flames went trought the botom. tried various mixes, but i have no idea what stachiometric ratio is. i used propane-butane.

This could be acetylene or I doubt it, but it could be hydrogen.

I have done something like this when I was younger using paint cans and methane gas. It would shoot the lid of the paint can about 15 or 20 feet in the air.

well, bucket upside-down on a firecraker works really well, i love doing that. it lifts 5-10 meters, with normal firecracker. Edited by Oinikis

You would need a good air/fuel mix to shoot these the distance some of them went up.

Like Algenco said carbide and a little water will work for this purpose.

The trick would be getting the air/fuel ratio to burn rapidly.

Too much fuel and not enough oxygen poor lift.

Too much oxygen and not enough fuel the same effect.

Anyone out there be careful if you try to use acetylene & oxygen this can be very dangerous.

Do not put this in a plastic bag or a balloon, static electricity will set these off very easily.

Several people have been killed trying to do this in the past.

It's be interesting to know what gas they were using. On the 2 shots that appeared to be over-fueled, it doesn't appear to be acetylene to me -- I didn't see the carbon I'd expect on overfueled acetylene. It's be just wildly crazy if they are using an oxy-gas mix, but that looks like it might be what they're using.

acetylene and oxygen. I know some who was shooting them with a roman candle, he was doing alright till he mixed oxygen in the bag with acetylene, any way he defoliated his yard, broke some windows, and sent 4 people to the hospital.

Like I said that is a real dangerous mix to mess with.

The calcium carbide and water is the safer way to play with this project.

The calcium carbide produces acetylene gas when mixed with water.

Coffee can half filled with water, throw some calcium carbide in the can.

Put the 55 gallon drum over the top and wait a few minutes for the gas to fill the drum.

You might want to try a fuse or electronic igniter to maintain a safe distance.

Having a 55 gallon drum land on top of you could turn out very bad.