APC Forum

Snap Pops

rangerstewart

Anyone know a recipe for making homemade snap pops? I know they're cheap, but I thought it would be a fun beginners project I could use to get my son more involved (and slip in a bit of a chemistry lesson to boot....).

Thought it might be a variation on crack balls....

Potassium chlorate 60%

Sulfur 35%

Dextrin 2%

Powdered glass 3%

Thanks

Edited by rangerstewart

As far as I know they are a fulminate (most likely silver).

There is also a chance it is styphanate.

You could make your own with a red phosphorous/ KclO3/antimony trisulfide.

This how ever would be rather dangerous and very bad for storage. For a dollar or so a box I would say just buy them. There is not much use to make them.

If you make these you will essentially have to deal with sensitive primary high explosives or substitutes of them.

Given the proper safety precautions you might try a mix like used in cracker balls or torpedoes.

they are made by coating silver fulminate onto small rocks and wrapping in paper. You could make versions of these with kclo3/red phosphorus (and other chemicals that have similar shock and friction sensitivity) aka Armstrong mix.

I want you to know that these torpedoes and pop-its(snappers, snap pops etc.) are going to be very different. It would be very challenging to get such a small amount of armstrongs mix into your torpedoes to make as small of a pop you get from pop-it. They are dangerous to make and shockingly powerful (more so than your pop-its), also torpedoes with armstrongs mix (at least in my opinion) were much harder to set off than pop-its.

I do not recommend making for a beginner,(or at all really) like i assume your son is. Only an experienced pyro should attempt making these. they can be pretty unforgiving. you are dealing with sensitive chemical combos that can explode if dropped or rubbed incorrectly and i think you should just stay clear of them. I believe most torpedoes are also illegal in the US like M-80s are. They can throw small pebbles, explode when you don't want them too etc.

Now if you still feel the need to make them and aren't going to listen to the random internet guy(i know i didn't when i made them) you should make sure to be careful. take all precautions you can(mixing wet ingredients, anti-static spray, everything you can do to minimize the risk). Read up on all the articles about these you can so you know how to manufacture them properly and safely

INCASE YOU WERE TOO LAZY TO READ: DON'T MAKE THEM IT'S TOO DANGEROUS. POP-ITS ARE MADE WITH SILVER FULMINATE, NOT ARMSTRONG'S MIX. ITS DANGEROUS FOR YOUR SON AND ANY PYRO ESPECIALLY IF INEXPERIENCED. IF YOU MUST MAKE THEM MAKE SURE TO READ UP AND TAKE ALL PRECAUTIONS POSSIBLE.

I APPOLIGIZE FOR MY JUMBLED THOUGHTS AND CAPS LOCK, I'M NOT MUCH OF A WRITER.

Snap pops are notoriously difficult to make. In fact many accidents are linked to their manufacture, although very special precausions are taken (rubber tools, very small amounts of live compo at a time on the table, specially designed dies for filling the tissue paper with the "boosted" sand and so on).

Silver fulminate needs lots of experience with fulminates in general and primaries in particular.

Trying to make them with Armstrong will simply not work. The amount of this compo needed to go bang is large enough to ruin the fingers, and sand is not enough to set up the compo. Lead shot is mentioned in the funny chemistry books. I wouldn't do this with my son.

This is in no way a project for a beginner.

Better stick with sparklers or Senko Hanabi - very rewarding and not dangerous.

A good rule of thumb is if something is made to be ignited without a flame, it's going to be dangerous to put together. Small bottle size rockets would be a much safer and rewarding project.

I don't know what makes a_bab say senko hanabi, besides that making them is relatively safe. I've worked months on trying to come up with a consistent composition and manufacture method for them and am still falling short of a 20% success rate. Maybe he's got a secret he'd like to share with the group that would save me more fruitless hours of toil?

We picked up some Snap Clappers last year. Basically a super pop-it. Red paper tube about 3/4" long, 1/8" dia, with what looks like clay plugs on both ends. These things are VERY loud and toss fragments quite a ways. We disposed of the last few boxes we had. They were a bit too much for ANYONE to handle.

they are made by coating silver fulminate onto small rocks and wrapping in paper. You could make versions of these with kclo3/red phosphorus (and other chemicals that have similar shock and friction sensitivity) aka Armstrong mix.

Regarding Armstrong's is it possible to sub kno3 for the kclo3/4?

rangerstewart,

As others said, its not worth it. FWIW, many places do sell the canister snap-pops for ~$1 /box and buying cases possibly can be even cheaper on your wallet. I have 5-10cs left and enjoy them...

You want the packaging - 10/30/20 - or they aren't worth buying.

Understood. Thanks everyone for all the input. I understand the dangers of fulminates and some of the other chemicals/comps mentioned. Definitely agree that they are not for a beginner, although I thought being so prevalent and cheap, they would not be so dangerous or difficult to make.

Best to learn from the mistakes of others, since you will never live long enough to make them all yourself....

A few of us were talking about good beginner projects this weekend. We agreed that gerbs are a great start. They are easy to make, pretty safe, and can be fired in most places without upsetting anyone. Ned's "Plasma Cutter Fountain" is a reliable one that can be made and fired without any drying time. http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/plasma-cutter-fountain.asp

• 2 weeks later...

A few of us were talking about good beginner projects this weekend. We agreed that gerbs are a great start. They are easy to make, pretty safe, and can be fired in most places without upsetting anyone. Ned's "Plasma Cutter Fountain" is a reliable one that can be made and fired without any drying time. http://www.skylighte...er-fountain.asp

Nate,

Would you have any interest in making 10-1 second fountains for the Superstring count down for PGI in Butler? I will be looking to get some from Gary if I can't find a builder to make them.

Email sent. :)

Nate,

Would you have any interest in making 10-1 second fountains for the Superstring count down for PGI in Butler? I will be looking to get some from Gary if I can't find a builder to make them.

Anyone know a recipe for making homemade snap pops? I know they're cheap, but I thought it would be a fun beginners project I could use to get my son more involved (and slip in a bit of a chemistry lesson to boot....).

Thought it might be a variation on crack balls....

Potassium chlorate 60%

Sulfur 35%

Dextrin 2%

Powdered glass 3%

Thanks

IVE TRIED THIS FORMULA AND HAD IT SELF IGNITE AND DESTROY MY DRIER BUT HAVE HADE GREAT LUCK ALTERING IT TO A REDGUM BINDER (EVEN TRIED NC LAQ.)AND NO WATER!!!!(EVEN IN THE ALCOHOL, USE PURE ONLY) BUT THESE ARE EXTREMLY POWERFUL. AND VERY DANGEROUS Edited by KI4BHG