APC Forum

Who's a good pyro supply Co.

kpknd

In the past I have been ordering from Firefox for about fifteen years, but the restrictions of the past few years alowing only one pound per year of potassium nitrate and sulfer is a problem.

What suggestions do you have for other souces? I know Skylighter is one.

Thanks.

Edited by kpknd

In the past I have been ordering from Firefox for about fifteen years, but the restrictions of the past few years alowing only one pound per year of potassium nitrate and sulfer is a problem.

What suggestions do you have for other souces? I know Skylighter is one.

Thanks.

Pyro Chem Source: http://www.pyrochemsource.com/Chemicals-AL/b/4940414011?ie=UTF8&title=Chemicals+A-L

BJV

Pyrodirect and Rolling Thunder are two more examples. There's also smokechemicals (Cracker's website) and others that I'm probably forgetting. If you do rockets Hobby Horse has a good selection of rocket tubes and other supplies but not so much chemicals.

All this said, if you join a club you'll probably be able to get better deals, from people who don't normally ship chemicals (or save on shipping even if they do).

Added: If you use enough to justify buying a 50# bag, I'd look for Haifa greenhouse grade potassium nitrate from an agricultural supplier.

Edited by flying fish

Pastimepyrochemicals.com has very good pricing on a large number of pyro chemicals. I usually do a large order once a year to stock up and Jeff gives me a discount on the order.

Pastimepyrochemicals.com has very good pricing on a large number of pyro chemicals. I usually do a large order once a year to stock up and Jeff gives me a discount on the order.

+1

Cannonfuse.com is a good site for your fuse needs, they also have other items you might be interested in.

They have pretty good deals on "UGLY" fuse when they have it.

These are coils and lengths of fuse that are not perfect and have slight flaws.

But most of it is perfectly good for the average hobbiest.

Thanks Mic, I have ordered from them now and then.

As to other supply companys, I looked around and found that Hobby chemical supply has a great deal on a 6 lb. black powder kit for $20, that is astonishing concidering all the other kits available are around $15 for a one pound kit. I think I know where my next order is going to.

It is real easy to make your own charcoal if you have a supply of wood scraps.

A TLUD cooker can be made from a 1-gallon or 5-gallon metal can/bucket.

Red Cedar wood chips are used to make really hot black powder for rocket fuel & lift charges.

All you need are some metal flue pipe fittings for a chimney flue/stack.

You might look on Danny Creagan's website he has a lot of info on different types of charcoal.

He also has a lot of info on making the charcoal and other Pyro projects.

He is currently the president of the PGI association with many years of experience.

Potassium nitrate can be purchased as a fertilizer if you can find a farm supply store that carries it.

Sulfur can also be found at farm supply or garden supply stores.

These can be your cheapest sources for the basic black powder components.

You should be able to find 50 pound bags of potassium nitrate for around 3 dollars a pound in that size bag.

Here's a few suppliers I have listed on a spreadsheet showing what they sell.

Skylighter (large selection)

Rolling Thunder (good selection of product)

Pastime (very good pricing and selection of chems)

Hobby Chem (good selection of product)

Science For U (good selection of product)

Cannon Fuse (fuse tubes plugs)

Star Molecule (high quality Aluminum powder)

Duda Diesel (good selection of products)

Pyro-Direct (good selection of product)

Hobby Horse (rocket tubes & rocket sticks)

Pyrocreations (good selection of product)

Fire-Fox (good selection of product)

Fire Chemical (good selection of product)

Thunder Valley (good selection of product)

Ace Pyro (good selection of product)

It looks to me that Hobby Chem has a real good deal on a black powder kit to make 6 1/2 lbs. for $20.oo , I like that. Hope it is good quality chems.

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered the black powder kit from Hobbychem.com. Couldent beat the price, hope it is'nt inferior materials.