APC Forum

Difference between breaks - 2x 3" shells

qba200

I'd like to show you 2 of my 3" shells. On videos we can see the difference between 2 shells, first, which was pasted with 3 strip method (9layers) and the second one, with 8 layers of paper.

Lift is black powder (for 150g shell i give 12,5g life)

Hemis are from paper

Break charge is simply granulated bp without booster

Stars D1 glitter (still i think my glitters suck comparing to other on yt, i really dunno why)

So heres the 9layers pasted:

and heres 8layers pasted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Fu0PozGGg

As you can see, that 1 layer of paper drastically changes whole shell's lookout

cheers

There is definitely something off with your stars. They have a good tail, but the glittering and flashes just isn' there. It's hard to tell you help with how to fix that, but there should be orders of magnitude more flashes. The breaks from both look good. I agree that 9 layers is better than 8.

How do you make the stars?

Mixed all components together except aluminium. Threw it into ball mill for about 1h, then added aluminium, screened it few times, and rolled stars. Some standard procedures i guess...

Heres my previous batch of D1 glitter, whats more strange, these even as they glitter very strong, arent very similar to normal D1 glitters, they behaved more like strong silver glitter stars, the charcoal stream was practically invisible:

Edited by qba200

I wished some one would do the same type test with plastic shells so i could get my breaks right. Lately i have been using a 2: mortar to test my 2". QBA i did mine the same way, only i think i just milled it about 15min. Just think about this when you mill the comp. you went way further than just screening.

Here's my 3" bow tie shell. Ring came out perfectly, but ill never use these D1 stars I made, they definitely destroyed whole effect. Also Ill add some more stars, because that "Tails" were way to little noticable.

Ball milling the glitter will usually not be beneficial for the effect and its duration.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me, my stars keep crumbling...I use the correct amount of dextrin and I let them dry completely! It is a tiger tail composition.... 44 kno3 44 charcoal 6 sulfur 6 dextrin. I dry them in a drying chamber....after I let them sit in room temp for a day so a hard shell doesn't form resulting in keeping all the moisture penned up inside. But they still crumble! I have tried cutting and pumping and rolling them.

Bad dextrin, not enough water, to much alcohol (if any is used at all), and not enough dry time are all possible. High charcoal stars take a long time to dry sometimes. In some conditions, charcoal stars can take over a month to dry.

I'll probably do series of little D1 glitter batches (about 20g each), and every will be milled during specific time, after ill make some stars of em and shot em with star gun and see result. Afterwards i can put some results here, maybe some1 will have same problem as me.

@yvariro thanks for the link, ive already studied it, but ill do that again.