APC Forum

Cheap Resistor Ematches

NightHawkInLight

I typically really dislike this guy when he bumbles his way around working with fireworks in his videos, but for once I think he may have come up with a pretty good idea.

I would ditch the match, but with a little better modification 1ohm resistors could be dirt cheap easy, and I expect pretty reliable ematches, if only for a short delay between hitting fire and actual ignition. Yes? No?

I seem to faintly recall hearing the idea before, but if so it's been long enough that the idea once again took me by surprise.

• Like 1

This doesn't look very reliable to me. When i need something to light from a distance, most of the time i use small peace of nichromium wire, i saved from old air heater. Before having that, i used single strand of wire, from low amp wires, like showed in that video. It heats up and burns of very quickly. The advantage of nichromium wire, is , that it is thicker, and can be reused alot of times. However this type of igniter can be used, when no nichromium wire is present, and when careful switched, the ressistor can also be reused, but i would use single strand of low amp wire, rather than going to shop, to buy some ressistors. But pretty usefull idea, when having some materials, and don't having some others. Edited by Oinikis

The small miniature incandescent Christmas bulbs work just as well. Break glass, not filament. Add pyrogen.