149 replies to this topic

#141 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:everything that goes against the grain

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

OK, my machine works great but now the finishing. I use NC lacquer to coat the visco, but i can't get the strength of commercial visco. I tried to dampen in the NC to get it more concentrated, it is like thick oil now. Still the result is the same. The fuse works great, looks great, but it is not what i want. Somehow my fuse keeps being fragile. I think the Chinese use some different coating. Next question. The fuse they use as a delay fuse in cake items, it burns aggressive with a very distinctive smell. It must be (per)chlorate based, almost like a whistle fuel. Anyone knows the formula?
Churchill, you're drunk.... Yes, Mary, and you are ugly. But i'm sober tomorrow.

#142 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

Making a visco machine isn't that difficult. I made a perfectly working one out of scrap wood, some rods, and other simple materials laying around. No calculating ratios or anything, just trial and error. Biggest problems i have are the driving belts, they wear off too soon, and the collecting drum is a little bit hard to remove. The fuse by itself is great, the performance is all about the composition used and the lacquering. Made hundreds ft with many different powders now. I don't really need it as a supply, but i just love that machine! Posted Image I make my own flying fish/falling leaves fuse with it as well. ...now convince my wife the importance of ''that odd weaving thing in the shed''...Posted Image
EDIT: i reply to myself.. how sad

Edited by spitfire, 03 November 2011 - 04:29 PM.

Churchill, you're drunk.... Yes, Mary, and you are ugly. But i'm sober tomorrow.

#143 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

I'm curious what you mean by fragile? Is the coating cracking? The use of certain additives like camphor and certain low volatility oils can help to improve flexibility of a coating by helping to plasticize it.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#144 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Yep, after 2 or 3 bends on the same spot the NC seems to crack and loose it's strength. Never heard of camphor as an additive, but worth a try.

#145 dan999ification

dan999ification

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:fishing, bbq, foraging, riding 2 strokes, body building
    FIREWORKS

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

[quote name='spitfire' timestamp='1320396655' post='86919']
Yep, after 2 or 3 bends on the same spot the NC seems to crack and loose it's strength. Never heard of camphor as an additive, but worth a try.
[/quote

its in ping pong balls.
you could make a laquer from them but it wont dry shiny, it will be flexible, the acetone may ruin the fuse.

dan.

Edited by dan999ification, 04 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#146 warthog

warthog

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Vestibulum ante faciem Dei

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

What a lot of great info and pix on a subject that I have been thinking about for a while now. It is a shame that so many pix have also been moved or deleted.Posted Image I wish there was a way that could be kept from happening since many of the posts loose their value without the pictures that had once been in them.

This is one machine I want to build eventually though I lack skill building things, I suppose if I keep trying I have to get it to work eventually, right? Posted Image

NC Lacquer can also be made from smokeless powder dissolved in acetone, make sure you use a powder that is single base. I prefer Green Dot, which is a double base but it seems to add a nice SNAP to the Dragon Eggs made with it. For "run of the mill" NCL I use one of the IMR four digit powders.

Edited by warthog, 06 November 2011 - 01:50 PM.

מרן אתא
If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10).

PGI Member
This post represents my 2 alone.

#147 BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi

In my undertaking of making flash cotton "nitrocellulose" I have found that once the nitrocellulose has dried and acetone is mixed the cellulose cotton will dissolve into a gel, that if left will turn into a hard white plastic.

Nope

So from nitrocellulose to nitrocellulose lacquer.

Add all your cotton in a glass bowl and slowly add acetone to the cotton until the cotton is fully dissolved.

Please please please be safe. I will add a photo graphic process later on on how I make flash cotton and also on how to turn it into nitrocellulose lacquer to use to cover visco fuse into visco safety fuse ;)

Yep, don't bother with that last part outside of the HE section.

Edited by Mumbles, 01 January 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#148 iclazion

iclazion

Playing with fire

• HE Qualified
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics. Short and sweet. Ooh and an old passfire member

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

Will post the process in the chemical forum

Edited by iclazion, 02 January 2012 - 02:47 AM.

Knowledge is power

#149 demetroy

demetroy

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

hey just wondering what people are using for turntables i am able to do most of the other things with things i have laying around the house and might have to buy a few items have a old fone laying aroud ill remove the vibrator from it and attach that to the funnel just an idear for all you guys and a tip from all my reading on these visco machines get the tracer threads wet it will pull the bp with it from what iv read it fixes the probs they were having anyway if anyone is willing to post me visco to Australia pm me to discuss details

#150 Sondre

Sondre

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnic

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

Very compact visco machine 

• pyrokid likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users