APC Forum

My Visco machine

Sason.net

• 7 months later...
I thinking about making a visco fuse machine just like blafs design and was wondering if anyone knows if the pieces that the cotton goes through is fixed or moving with the pulleys and such.

Hello 50caliber

Those pieces that cotton yarns go through are commonly called "Dies" and yes, you're right, they do rotate along with plates that support cotton yarns and pulleys underneath. Consider those three pieces (plate, pulley and die) to be one single body, linked together by short piece of aluminium rod. There's roller bearing between pulley and plate slid on the rod and now, your problem is how to fix it firmly so that "one single body" mentioned above could rotate inside. I'm leaving this to your imagination...

Hope this helps a bit.

Blaf

Hey Blaf

Cheers for the info, i'm getting some parts today for the machine. I think the biggest problem for me is either the tension and gathering the fuse at the bottom or coating the fuse in Nitrocellulose. Thanks again for pointing that out it makes it alot easyer to understand.

Coating with NC isn't a vital part of making fuse. It could be omitted untill you get the machine up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea wood is fine, it does get a bit dirty though. idealy it would be made out of metal or a strong wood

There is a little bit of stress but only on the bearings, i will have to get lazy susan type bearings

50caliber, nicely done!

If you want a good lazysusan center bearing take a look at a company called rev-a-shelf, and their part# 4TB-9 or 4TB-12. Either one will be about $10.00 or $12.00, and they have an open center so you can feed you fuse through. The are sturdy steel and ball bearing construction. Try a cabinet-maker supply store, or PM me and I can get them for you.

What about installing a sheave on the bottom to turn the finished fuse 90 degrees, and pulling this horizontally through a NC lacquer bath?

Thanks

I might just make the bearings alot tighter on the brass tube, but if worst comes to worst ill need that type of bearings.

thats my need step in this I need to attach a drum to the main shaft so the fuse has tension and it can be coated in nitrocellulose between the drum

This is the first stage of the fuse

post-4-1166564604_thumb.jpg

Looks like we may all need one soonTHE FIREFOX CASE HAS BEEN LOSTand fuse may be hard to get soon

Firefox has NOT lost the case.

To the dozens of customers who have placed phone calls and e-mails,

and to everyone else out there, FIREFOX IS STILL IN BUSINESS!!!

FIREFOX HAS NOT "LOST" OUR CASE!!! FIREFOX IS STILL FIGHTING FOR OUR

RIGHTS TO FREE ENTERPRISE AND YOUR RIGHTS TO PURCHASE AND USE

CHEMICALS AND SUPPLIES FOR YOUR LEGAL HOBBY INTERESTS!!! Will there be

restrictions? Yes. Are there still issues that need to be worked out?

Yes. The judge has ordered it. Are we still fighting for the hobby

industry? YES!!

Diane and I finish up a two hour teleconference on these matters to

find that many of our customers now think we are going out of

business. NOT TRUE! It seems that there is one individual out there

that has no idea of the extent of headaches, hundreds of hours of

work, the government inspections and scrutiny and overwhelming high

stress that Diane and I have endured to defend our mutual rights

against an entity that has virtually bottomless pockets to fund a suit

against us. Diane and I will continue to fight for your rights. Please

remember this when ordering. We heartily thank all of you on our legal

team and everyone's support and donations. THANK YOU! The fight is not

over yet! Harry, don't bother to call to explain this one. It will

take days for me to cool off.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!

Diane and Gary

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ok what is inside of the visco fuse to make it burn slow? I read somewhere that there was cornstarch or you can use sugar but what else besides that.

Thanks

Its mainly the low surface area available. Kinda like compressed KNSU in a straw. There are a few fuse compositions in the PFP composition database.

A bit of the slow burning can be because of the proportion of the reactants... IE a very high charcoal fuse would burn slower. Large amounts of dextrin could also work.

Think of visco as blackmatch that has been wrapped in strings and coated with NC. Blackmatch generally burns around 1s an inch unless the BP composition is significantly crappy or over fueled.

I have a question.

What ratio is the best for pull rate control.

For example, i have a 30mm pulley on the drive shatf and the collecting drum is 20mm in diameter (and has a 1:1 transimission ratio to the drive shaft). What size should be the pulley on the spinerette so the pull rate is around 1.5cm per 1 turn of spinerette.

Honestly i have no idea hot to calculate this so any help is welcome. Also nothing is fully asembled so the dimensions of the pulleys and collecting drum can be changed.

Thanks

I have a question.

What ratio is the best for pull rate control.

For example, i have a 30mm pulley on the drive shatf and the collecting drum is 20mm in diameter (and has a 1:1 transimission ratio to the drive shaft). What size should be the pulley on the spinerette so the pull rate is around 1.5cm per 1 turn of spinerette.

Honestly i have no idea hot to calculate this so any help is welcome. Also nothing is fully asembled so the dimensions of the pulleys and collecting drum can be changed.

Thanks

Alright I found something but it might not help but I'm using K'nex and its not done yet theres still a few kinks but I know that it will work so here it is...http://truetex.com/turner_visco.pdf

I have an idea how to calculate it, but am unsure how it all works, and thus how the calculation has to proceed. Maybe if you could draw a quick diagram of the mechanism of how it spins and pulls I could do it. Also what exactly is the collecting drum? Does the finished visco spin around it into a roll?

I'm just saying that the plans I put the link up there for have the ratios already you may just have to do some tweaking.

That wasn't the post that was up when I posted. It was someting along the lines of "Theres a post on the forums about it I printed it off......ah, I can't find it to scan it.........just search and you'll find it."

• 2 weeks later...
Hey does anyone know if a woodshop teacher can be fired for helping a student on school campus to build a Visco Machine? My woodshop teacher says he will but first he needs to know that he won't get fired.

Why would he be fired? He's not doing anything nefarious. He'd be building a simple machine for a student, out of wood. What a free country we live in. "I'd love to help my students, but I might get fired if I do."

As for the fuse powder. When I first got some visco off of cannonfuse I took a razor blade and extracted some to see how it burned. It is very fine very fast powder. It is black not grey.

Why would he be fired? He's not doing anything nefarious. He'd be building a simple machine for a student, out of wood. What a free country we live in. "I'd love to help my students, but I might get fired if I do."

As for the fuse powder. When I first got some visco off of cannonfuse I took a razor blade and extracted some to see how it burned. It is very fine very fast powder. It is black not grey.

I talked to him today and he said that he could help me make the hard part like the circle and pulleys and the straw thing where the string goes through but thats it.