APC Forum

Toulene.

DubaiAmateurRocketry

Toulene, C7H8, is a colorless liquid with a heat of combustion around 44.90MJ/kg. Almost twice as higher that of Polyuerethane and HTPB, can it be subsituted ? is Toulene plastic or rubber like ? any one tried it out ? any info ? thx.

What are you wanting to do with it? Toluene is a solvent, it is not plastic or rubber like at all. You can use it to weld polystyrene together.

What do those three things have in common? Are you wanting to substitute toluene for HTPB?

Edited by nater

It`s a quite nice solvent (also used for making many dies or TNT).

It`s organic.

Most times your able to use it like Xylene

It's liquid, and the only way you could use it for rocketry, is keeping it at fuel tank, with a pump, pumping it to combustion chamber together with liquid oxygen, and basicly it's most comonly used for traveling into space. like Gagarin reached the orbit with kerosene, but now liquid hydrogen is used. i have no idea how one amateur could make such a complicted mechanism, with lot of electronics involved too. i think you should try that asphalt stuff you was talking about, but i have no idea, will it burn, when mixed with oxidyzer. I saw that higher power amateur rockets most comonly uses rocket candy, becouse it can be easily loded straight into rocket, burn energetic, and is very dense (compared to other fuels). Basic Rcandy with iron (III) oxide should for even big rockets. Edited by Oinikis

Sorry, didn't saw it at the morning (maybe last night to ye), and tought it was new.