APC Forum

Help with law and regulation about movie pyrotechnics in UK/EU?

50AE

Hi,

I'm currently searching for a detailed explanation of every helpful information about theatrical effects ( I assume it's in the movies category).

My primary questions are:

How are the theatrical effects considered like, class, category? T1, T2? What safety rules and regulations apply to them? What kind of license is needed?

Very important - and explanation about the T1 and T2 class - maximum explosive content, full description, limits.

Many thanks!

Edited by 50AE

So there's no chance for a detailed explanation running freely in the net? What I want to do, is to compare with our national regulation.

I am really curious about:

Class T1 and T2 (theatrical pyrotechnics) - properties. What kind of devices can be called T2, what of them cannot be considered T2? For example type of composition, content, charge, ignition.

I am also searching for an official document that confirms T1 and T2 are considered theatrical pyrotechnic devices and not industrial high explosives. Also a full explanation about working with T1 and T2 - safety distances, protection equipment, personel qualification, etc.

Edited by 50AE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm a little confuse about the pyro classifications too...

In Romania ( like all UE) the classifications are these:

T1, T2 P1, P2

Class 1 means everything which contains less than 3 grams of " pyrotechnic composition"

Also here is illegal to have, prepare or light any firecracker even if it has 0,1 grams of pyro mixture

But for T1, T2 and P1, P2 I don't understand them.

From what I talked to a licensed pyrotechnician T1 and T2 means Technical not Theatrical ( maybe he's wrong).

He told me for example the car airbag is actioned by a pyrotechnic device and is considered T1 class

So for what I understand we are only allowed to use mini bengal lights, sparklers and mini fountains ( <3 grams)

P.S. On many pyro sites they sell " football flares" or "marine flares" and they don't say its class.

The T-Classes are technical classes.

T1 are the bigger ones, which are also allowed to contain flash

T2 Smaller ones, no flash. Allways having Fuse or E-Match (T1 e.g. can be the old bird bangers)

1-3

Are classes, which are subject to country laws.

The main difference is, how much composition they are allowed to contain (Over whole device, max weight of a single effect, Flash y/n max per device/effect) and when they are allowed to be sold.

Class 4 is everything which is untested or do not fit into the other classes e.G. Ball shells, as they are considered as single effects not a whole device (you have to load them before they can be fired).

These class is even subject to country laws (what, how much).