APC Forum

Corning best methods?

mickyp

Hi guys, and girls, I have been reading up on Corning, one method is to wet and get a stiff ball and push it through a sieve which i did last time and the powder pruned well, the other i read was compress into a cake then break it up with a mortice and sieve but grade it to its different sizes for various uses.

It seems from what i have read so far the latter is better because is compresses the molecules/particles into one another more.

Has anyone here found a marked difference. ???

BTW i am about to prune the willow and its the first time i intend to make use of the wood, the good thing is i have to cut it back each spring, I just know the other half is going to roll her eyes up after asking why its not going through the twig gobbler

Lol

Hand granulated (riced) and corned (pressed/screened) powders can both be used successfully and do not differ much from a performance standpoint. So you do not corn to gain speed. I do it to gain durable grain of a predictable narrow particle range, which are almost dust free, not easily crumbled and which can be volume measured.

• Like 1

Lol

Hand granulated (riced) and corned (pressed/screened) powders can both be used successfully and do not differ much from a performance standpoint. So you do not corn to gain speed. I do it to gain durable grain of a predictable narrow particle range, which are almost dust free, not easily crumbled and which can be volume measured.

Thanks for that, I have got hold of a golf ball thingy so i will be testing a couple of grams each way to see the difference, i find this kind of stuff interesting

like confinement for lift charge etc, I will post what i find,

Thanks again

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Compressing and breaking up the pucks tends to yield stronger grains than just granulating through a screen. This makes it more durable, and typically able to be measured by volume. It's also more labor intensive though, and many believe that it will actually slow down the burn rate. I personally granulate because it's quick and easy, and I don't really need the extra strength.

Either method you choose, you should still grade the final product for consistent results. Anything that is too fine can be added to the next batch and regranulated or recompressed.

I don't think there is a 'best' method - other than the one that works for you. Personally, I press into pucks and corn, as much for consistency and 'zen' of the process as anything else. I will be testing half a dozen different charcoals this year, and will use the same process/pressure/dwell time for each batch. This gives me some hope that I can make charcoal the sole variable, so baseball testing I do can be useful.

Kevin

cheese grater method for me has produced hotter bp, for lifting it is great but it wont stand up to being rammed in a candle.

Porous grains burn faster but can be inconsistant in speed, i prefer to not do the extra work corning for no real benefit, we aren't firing cannon.

And al, i have some coated sunflower seed hulls to use as lift i coated with bm slurry and plain meal, they are large but a loose pile..... Woooof.

Dan.