APC Forum

Two 5" shells

flying fish

The timed reports shell was supposed to be a test of my spolette consistency (the reports are spolette tubes). I'm thinking about switching the pressing rather than ramming in the hopes of tightening up the spread.

These are amazing! What comp are you using in the second shell? Edited by BlastFromThePast

Hardt blue #6 with saran resin instead of HCB or whatever the formula originally uses. For magenta the same formula with 10 of the 12% copper oxychloride was replaced with Strontium Carbonate. This was based on a suggestion ("hypothetical formula") from Mike Swisher on Passfire but it turned out pretty well. I had the same magenta and blue stars as a pistil for the first shell and as you can see it is thoroughly drowned out by the magnalium green :P

The outer "ring" of magenta stars were 3/8" pumped stars stacked 3 layers high. The blue "pistil" were cut stars of about the same size just mixed in with the burst. The colors were better than what my camera captured.

Nice shells. Did all of your reports ignite? What construction method did you use on them? Were the spolettes drilled back?

WB

Thanks! I believe they all ignited. There were only 11 reports. They were alternated in the "ring" with green "pill box" stars (which didn't really behave like pillbox stars because the comp was too energetic) stacked three layers high. A lot of cursing was involved as things kept falling over, but I finally got them locked in. Someone at the shoot had mentioned that he uses temporary spray adhesive to cut down on the cursing, I'll have to try that next time!

The report delays were rammed to about 1.1" and drilled back to 0.9". I was also thinking that a piece of black match inserted into the drill hole may help reduce the spread, another thing I'll try next time. I've been talking about this "mint berry crunch" shell for way too long now, so I'll have to do that for the next shoot. It will be timed reports with a green and purple pistil, followed by a bottom shot :D. I just need to find a green and purple that are similar in terms of brightness, without using chlorates.

The power of mint and berry combined with a satisfying crunch.

Edited by flying fish
  • Like 1