APC Forum

NaNO3 out of KNO3?

PyroCube

Hi all

I found a good formula for yellow stars recently, but I haven`t go any NaNO3 available at the moment.

I know that it`s possible to make KNO3 out of NaNO3 by addition of KCL, but is it also possible to

get Sodium nitrate out of Potassium nitrate by adding simple NaCl?

Hopefully anyone of you tried this before, It would be nice to do some

basic chemistry for once.

Thank you,

Greets

It all comes down to solubility of the salts an most (or maybe all) Na salts are more soluble than the K ones.

Good example is NaClO4 (very soluble) and KClO4 (in cold water rather insoluble)

In solution those molecules seperate into ions and start floating around. If you have a solution with ClO4- ions and you add a KCl solution the K+ ions meet the ClO4- ions and together they are suddenly not suluble anymore so will drop out of solution.

This is the principle and thats why I dont think its not possible to make NaNO3 from KNO3 and NaCl

Nope, doesn't just come down to solubility.

It's more about the chemical potential of the Ions.

In this case they say straigh that Nitrate goes for Pottasium and Chloride for Sodium.

If you wanted to do it just by solubility, you need a solvents whitch would be able to get Sodium Nitrat, Pottasium Nitrate and Sodium Chloride into solution, Pottasium Nitrate need to crystallise out. Never heard of one like this, and doubt that it exists.

For KNO3 to NaNO3 you will need to take a different route. This route is:

Mix KNO3 with H2SO4, and distill out the HNO3

Then add the HNO3 to Na2CO3 (Soda) or NaHCO3 (Sodiumhydrogencarbonate).

But before doing that, its probably easier to just buy nitric acid and just do the last step

That solvent is called water. I suspect that you meant sodium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate where bolded however. In which case, I'm not aware of such a solvent either.

In this case they say straigh that Nitrate goes for Pottasium and Chloride for Sodium.

If you wanted to do it just by solubility, you need a solvents whitch would be able to get Sodium Nitrat, Pottasium Nitrate and Sodium Chloride into solution, Pottasium Nitrate need to crystallise out. Never heard of one like this, and doubt that it exists.

You need to use other sodium salts to recover sodium nitrate from potassium nitrate. Sodium perchlorate and sodium bitartrate come to mind.

Yes, off course.

Yes, your Right should work with Sodium Chlorate, didd't think of that.

But still i would recommend the Soda + Nitric Acid way

How about reacting the potassium nitrate with ammonium sulfate. If the reaction precipitates potassium sulfate you could then react the ammonium nitrate solution with sodium hydroxide. A very messy and potentially toxic route to get what you need. If you live in the US many garden suppliers still sale Sodium nitrate for about $1-2/lb.

Not sure if this would work. But if, it would be a quite good route.

Messy it`s just if working wrong.

But it`s probably better to use Sodiumcarbonate, It´s just quite easy to get rid of ammonia carbonate, aas it eaporates if heated to 60°C (even eaporates at room Temperature, but slow)