APC Forum

I've tried to use pyrotechnics in practice.

Oinikis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZwKV8mEG4

i've used about 15 grams of meal powder, ignited using nichromium wire. I drilled 16mm diameter hole, put the wires, powder, and hammered in a peace of wood. drilled the hole too small, and had to ram the powder hardly, so some of if stick to the sides of the log after explosion and was visible burning. this was not my first log, before i splited big log with alot of branches, it took about half of day to finish the peaces!

You want to know how i made it?

Yes you made a hole in the side or in the top can be used for for bigger logs?

yes, you can use as big logs as you want, just you need to make sure you add enought BP in it. i took 16mm feather drillbit, drilled a hole in the side, put 2 wires with nichromium wire in between, put the BP, and then i made a peace of wood, that is almost 2 times bigger in diameter, than the hole is, sharpened, so the tip could fit into the hole, and hamered hard. since it's so much wider, it stuck so strongly, that even after explosion, it is almost everytime left in one side of the log.

i do not know what about other sources of ignition, maybe you could drill a small hole in the hammered peace of wood for fuse, but i think wire method is safest and easyiest. basicly if you use a cable with thick wires, you can take low amp wire, and conect them both, and 12 volt accumulator should burn it, however, i use long and spiraled peace of nichromium wire, and i use it multiple times, becouse it is about 1/3mm thick, and long enought. for logs up to 50cm in diameter, 15 grams of BP hould do. once i put like 20 grams of BP for 60cm in diameter, and heavily branched log, and exploded it upside down, and both sides got lifted. also, once i got some nitrocelulose based gunpowder, and used about 10 grams in a small log, nd peaces flew like 10 meters away, but anyway for normal sized logs 10-15 doe very well. even slow BP blows logs up, just not so violently, becouse it is sealed, and no matter how slowly gass are produced, it's amost imposible for them to leak, and it blows up. i got positive results with barely grinded, made with sparky, but super slow BBQ charcoal, but explosion wasn't was very nice.once it got like loud pooof! and it heavily cracked, but with very, very bad grinded BP (peaces were like 0.3mm) nd with very bad charcoal. basicly any BP wil do, and there is no need to waste your hot charcoal, or time for mill it till airfloat. but if you want nice explosion, then use better BP. that log used ungranulated, ballmilled meal powder.

it was cut about two month before. these are old trees from graveyard, some of them are very strong! so thats why i used this.