APC Forum

Cheap but effective visco cutter

Bobosan

Always looking for tooling that can be used for pyro and noticed these cigar mandolins/guillotine. Purchased 3 types to try out and they all work great on visco. The left one has a V-notch blade shape. The right one is best one for a nice angle cut on visco and it cuts from two sides. Powder loss is minimal using these compared to pressure from a box cutter blade . FWIW.

post-14334-0-02727800-1360960095_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Interesting. I've never thought of using those, and Im somewhat of a cigar smoker.

I hadn't either until I saw them in the smoke shop one day. The far right one with double action curved blade works best for me with visco. The left one may have use with 1/4" time fuse but haven't worked with it yet. The standard guillotine one in middle is not good as visco wants to slide across as blade is pressed.

I like the idea of the notch cutter on the left for time fuse, it would give a lot of surface area so no crossmatching or priming would be required.

Ok NHIL, you got my curiousity up and since I hadn't tried it yet, below is result. All I can say is that 1/4" time fuse is tuff stuff. Broke the rounded handles applying pressure with hands. Cut the damn handles off and used a vise. The notch cutter would be much better housed in something other than plastic. Hmmmmmm.....now there is an idea for a pyro hand tool!

post-14334-0-52840400-1365121469_thumb.jpg

It might be good for the giving fire end, but I'd still want to prime it on the taking fire end.

Amazon have a great little anvil cutter that is quite cheap and does a great job. It cuts 3 mm visco and time fuse up to monetti pl10 ( 10mm) it is incredibly sharp and locks shut.

Fiskers 9110 anvil shears. I have used mine for ages and they are accurate and cut cleanly and easily . I cannot understand such a simplicity being a problem.

Edited by TritonPyro

Not a problem really. Just always looking for simple hand tools. Some work out, some don't. The notch cigar tool can not handle time fuse, however it does visco just fine.

Does Fisker make a notch cutter?

Edited by Bobosan

Don't think so. This anvil cutter is effortless and makes clean and safe cuts. I make a lot of time fuses with 6 and 10 mm monetti and Chinese fuse. It has to be the most used tool when constructing shells. Most people that I know use them as they are a must have.

Yes, I agree which is why I also own one but it is not a Fisker.

I willing to bet that as long as you are pretty snappy when using these things, you probably wont crush the core at all (at lest with visco). I think I might just stop at the cigar store today and pick up a few of these to mess with this afternoon. If they work as well as you say they do, I may just retire my xacto from fuse cutting. Edited by Dead_Cell

The only one I'm happy with is the double bladed one on right....and the only reason for that is small size (pocket carry) and lightweight. It was an experiment in alternative portable cutters. Xacto and box cutters suck when compared a an anvil type cutter.