APC Forum

Meteorite goes down over Russia

Pretty green flame

I'm a little bit of a fan boy for all things space, and this has got to be the coolest and scarriest thing yet. This is a couple hours old.

Meteorite over Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-0iwBEswE

Shockwave

Apparently the Russians took it down with one of their air defence systems, though the success of that can be debatable.

PGF

space fan here also, and i can say this is awesome, and terifying also. i've heard it has something to do (maybe) with that meteor, whitch will fly near the earth soon. it also going to be 14 times closer thn the moon (something about 20,000km) and it will be closer than earth stationary orbit, where TV satelites fly, i can't wait for it! at least this is information i just heard from TV. it's so good that i have a telescope, i just hope, that weather will be clear. Edited by Oinikis

Very cool. Are the Russians actually saying they shot that thing down?

I don't think this is related to DA14 but there are a lot of 'unconfirmed reports' going around.

Very cool. Are the Russians actually saying they shot that thing down?

I don't think this is related to DA14 but there are a lot of 'unconfirmed reports' going around.

The initial reports said the Russians shot it down, right now i'm reading reports that the russian military had nothing to do with it. You can read live coverage on rt.com. Well I guess it's typical for the news media to make unverified claims.

From what i've read, I also doubt it's part of DA14, though when I first heard of it I thought it was a fragment of said meteorite. Apparently it came from the direction of the sun making it difficult to spot until the very end. There's also a cool picture from a weather satelite showing the meteorite, pretty cool if you ask me.

http://rt.com/files/news/russia-meteor-meteorite-asteroid-chelyabinsk-291/image-eumetsat.jpg

very cool. i hope we will see more meteors at upcoming meteor rain, without any victims. it's too bad that these, whitch are about to hit us moves so fast, and it's almost imposible to track them with telescope. under a telescope they look so much diferent. the moon, for example, looks not like a pancake, but like a sphere. also about DA14 i've heard very little, anyone know when it will fly by? Edited by Oinikis

I think DA14 will come closest to earthpoint above Madagascar and should only be approximately 17,000 miles AGL. It's not supposed to take out any satellites or other near orbit objects. This mornings Russian meteroid certainly was awesome....

....and rather humbling.

Edited by Bobosan

over madagascar, ehh? then i think i should be able to see it from europe, becouse it is high enough, and TV satelites are visible from whole longtitude, and madagascar and me are in pretty same longtitude. lets expect clear weather. any pyro from Chialebinsk, who experienced that meteor? Edited by Oinikis

NASA is calling this mornings Russian event a bolide.

http://www.space.com/19806-russia-meteor-explosion-asteroid-flyby.html

Also in that article;

"Asteroid 2012 DA14 is 150 feet (45 meters) wide — about half the size of a football field — and will make its closest approach to Earth at 2:24 p.m. EST (1924 GMT) when it passes over Indonesia. It will be about 5,000 miles (8,046 kilometers) closer to Earth than the communications satellites circling the planet in geosynchronous orbits"

That meteor over Russia was awesome! Would have really enjoyed being there. Might have had to clean out my pants afterward though.

So did anyone get a glimpse of the rock last night? It was too cloudy where I live, so I couldn't see anything, no stars, let alone a 50meter rock.