APC Forum

Copper Sulfate and Fountain Fireworks

Foxmaster

Hello,

I am planning on experimenting a little with fireworks, and I figured that fountains would be a good place to start. My plan is to make a fountain that will use copper (II) sulfate to give my flame a nice bluish hue. I have access to highly concentrated sulfuric acid (18 molar), copper, the knowledge of how to make copper sulfate using a little electrochemistry, and the experience both in labs and on my own handling these materials. I plan to use the classic potassium nitrate - powdered sugar mixture in a 5:3 ratio because it burns vigorously and gives me the flame height and brightness that I desire.

So, my questions are:

-Will simply blending in the small copper (II) sulfate crystals into the KNO3/sugar mixture give off a blue flame that will burn evenly if it's mixed well enough?

-Is it safe to just mix in the copper (II) sulfate into the still hot KNO3/sugar mixture right before I pour it into the mold to cool and harden, or will this cause any hazardous chemical reactions that I am not aware of? (I do not plan to store the fountain for longer than a few hours before I set it off)

-Additionally, I was thinking of maybe adding another metal like aluminum, magnesium, or maybe some iron shavings to give the fountain some sparkling bits that would shoot out as well as the blue flame. I have access to some aluminum shavings, so would those work to create that sparkler effect and would it be safe to mix in directly with the other compounds or should it be added another way?

In case if you were wondering, the method I use to make the copper sulfate crystals is very similar to the last method seen in this video (skip to 2:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arlYPz3EP7A&feature=youtu.be&t=2m20s

If anyone has lots of experience using these kind of techniques, and feels like they have some good advice to increase my copper sulfate yield I am all ears.

PS: Yes, I am aware that there are other compounds that will give off better blue flames than copper sulfate, but making the copper sulfate myself is half the fun :D

Fountains are certainly a good place to start, but if you want colours you will not get better than a very pale lilac with Potassium Nitrate.

Copper Sulphate is almost never used in fireworks for various reasons:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/2905-pyrotechnic-uses-for-copper-sulfate/

I would advise trying some standard fountain formulas before progressing to colour formulas. If you really want to make a nice blue fountain you will be needing Perchlorates, and you will be veering into more dangerous territory than I'd recommend for a beginner.

Thanks for the advice! Are their any compounds that would work well with this type of mixture to create a decent colored flame?

Copper oxide and Copper oxycloride with Parlon, PVC, or other Chlorine donor might work for a poor blue.

What about Potassium nitrate with powdered Copper and 5% PVC?

Zinc can create a blue green effect with nitrate comps, but nothing like perch's do.

Copper oxide and Copper oxycloride with Parlon, PVC, or other Chlorine donor might work for a poor blue.

What about Potassium nitrate with powdered Copper and 5% PVC?

The only nitrate I've heard of making a decent blue is lead nitrate. Joel Baechle gave a seminar at the WPA Winetrblast (there is a lot of wine tasted at the afterglows, but I meant Winterblast :lol:) a few years ago describing color compositions with only nitrates (no chlorates or perchlorates). It was well attended and there were handouts.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM