APC Forum

A few shells from last weekend

WonderBoy

The first is a 5" ball shell which went okay. I don't make many ball shells.

http://youtu.be/q_AQVUV_Jf8

The rest are 4" cylinder shells. All were made using the rinfasciature method, which I have really taken a liking to. The first 2 are single breaks, just testing glitter comps. I was disappointed in the tail from both of them, so I need to figure out what the issue was with that.

http://youtu.be/shbyeymWKXE

This last one is a 4" two break with bottom shot. It was a star disposal/test shell, so the star combos aren't my favorite, but it was a successful test.

http://youtu.be/fxEBXbmXdMs

WB

those shells was wonderful

thanks for sharing.

Great shells. Mind sharing the formulas for the stars in the first canister and for the streamers in the first break of the 2nd canister.

#wonderboy: well done !!

I liked the 5"ballshell, those streamers in combination with blue were very nice. Could it be possible that some of the blue stars blew blind ?, I noticed some dark patches in the pattern.

the cilindershells were cool . I have no experience in building them ( I'm a ballshell fanatic), but they do seem well build.

Just keep at it, I notice things are constantly improving with your stuff.

Thanks for sharing, it is quite refreshing to see some actual shells being built , shot AND FILMED instead of the usual endless bullshit threads that seem to be so overly abundantly present on this forum... :)

Edited by fredhappy

I think there is something about some glitters that makes them turn to a streamer type star. This video is of stars that were supposed to be "silver glitter" but I know if I make it with bright Al, they are streamers. So I just call it a silver wave.

The ball shell broke really nice, just as the one at PGI. I think you have that down. The cylinders are really breaking better. You should really make some "standard" pasted ones to compare them to. The Rin method has more confinement, so the same burst charges in a regular shell might not work as well, so keep that in mind. The 3 break came out really nice.

What happened to the other 3 break, was it exactly the same?

Thanks guys.

PGF, the stars in that first cylinder was Crazy_Swede glitter, I believe the formula is on here somewhere. The streamers in the first break are cut 1/2" TT +10 coarse Ti sponge.

bRNX, I was testing two things. Before building this shell, there was zero literature on using the rinfasciature technique to make multibreaks. So, I based my technique off of a few photos on Italian websites, and a description of a similarish building method; I had to make many inferences to leap across that knowledge gap. The second thing I was testing was a slow-ish flash (thanks Mum) on polverone burst.

fred, :) I agree, having actual shells posted can lead to very good discussions.

It is definitely a possibility that some stars blew blind. They were some old cut stars a friend of mine made, and I'm not sure how well they were actually primed. Also, they were not very equal in size and cut, so that may have contributed to the gaps.

psyco, That is a really nice silver streamer. I will be trying some different Al in those next time, see if I can get a better tail on them.

That ball shell was actually broken using a completely different burst form the one at PGI, but still came out all right. I wanted to use up the rest of those comets.

I think the break on the cylinders could be a bit harder, but I may just leave it for now. I really like the rin method, I may start using it on all of my cylinders. (Theory) I think the extra containment is particularly helpful using this slow flash polverone system. I had chatted with Joel H. about his shells, he uses more turns of a heavier than normal kraft. He is convinced that the extra confinement is necessary to maintain star ignition while still bursting the shells hard with lots of flash. I am using a slow flash that is faster than his, so I don't think it needs quite the confinement that he is getting, but still more than usual.

The otherr 3 break was the mono-strobe I told you about. Probably the first and last time using that insert construction method. One of the inserts had a fire leak, sympathetically detonating the rest of the inserts and destroying the second break. Somehow the bottom shot survived and functioned as intended.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy