APC Forum

Fine swarf titanium alloy, producing crackling branching sparks.

Zingy

I am intrigued, by this soon to be offered product, advertised by Firefox. It is listed as: "50-60 mesh, fine swarf alloy of Titanium, Aluminium, Chromium and Vanadium. It is manufactured by Timet. It is shipped in a water soluble oil", (which is probably the coolant, for cutting or machining). It is inexpensive for Titanium. The elemental percentages of this alloy are not listed by Firefox.

From my experience most crackle is from magnesium/aluminium alloys. Branching white sparks has been from high carbon steel filings. Chips, turnings of Titanium and Ferro Titanium, of course, fail to produce these effects.

I would appreciate the wisdom, others here have to offer, from their experience, studies, or other research, as to this metal shape, element content, type, or similarity. producing these effects. This makes me contemplate of a lot of potential possibilities, of this product. :)

Edited by Zingy

By definition, swarf is basically turnings and other leftovers that result from milling or drilling processes. Chances are that it is a waste product from Timet that is just sold instead melted and cast again, especially since it is still shipped with residuals of the drilling fluid sticking to it.

As long as we don't know the exact alloy, chances are that you will not be able to determine the exact effect beforehand. I would suggest that you do not really treat it other than titanium shavings or sponge. It will still produce interesting sparks but might burn a little bit more firence if used as fuel in a comp.

I am also interested in the causation, besides the applications of the "Loud Crackle and Branching Sparks", of this alloy.

I suspect one of the elements, (Titanium, Aluminium, Chromium, or Vanadium) is significantly more reactive, and hopefully this being the Aluminium, (without getting egg on my face), causes the "Loud Crackle".

I am inclined to believe, this maybe a significantly interesting additive to Dragon Eggs.

Interestingly, the alloy's elements, are very hard to machine except for the Aluminium. Chromium, being used in A1 and A2 Tool Steel, and Stainless Steel. Vanadium is used in high speed cutting steel. It must take some specialized cutting tool, to machine this alloy, if the Aluminium content was not substantial.

I should also point out that this Titanium alloy, is described by 'Firefox', as being reducible, in particle size, by ball milling, (probably more difficult than magnalium)..

I suspect the hardness of the Titanium, Chromium and Vanadium, plus the higher melting temperatures, compared to the Aluminium, increases the loudness of the crackle.

I am at loss for possible explanations, of the branching sparks, of this Titanium alloy?

I would also appreciate any direction to articles, others found pertinent, in their review of the literature.

Edited by Zingy

While this alloy may be more prone to it, This phenomenon is far from unheard of. In particular I have made a wide range of Ammonium perchlorate mixes that have Titanium sparks which explode in to a little ball of sparks after a few meters.

Up close this effect is really spectacular, though I've hesitated to utilize it in stars because both the crackling and the delicate branching would be largely lost in distance.

I first came across this phenomenon in a Skylighter article : http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/blue-fireworks-fountain.asp

Thank You, Seymour and Boule.

I really appreciate the Skylighter article. This particular Titanium Alloy would most likely produce the crackling and branching sparks, with just a slow black powder mix, but the Ammonium Perchlorate might make a nice amplifying addition, to some formulas. Part of the advertisement is shown below. There was no audio or video, just the limitations of the photo..

http://www.firefox-fx.com/images/sunburst-copy-new.jpg COMING SOON

http://www.firefox-fx.com/images/004a_thumb.jpg http://www.firefox-fx.com/images/004c_thumb.jpg (Click images to enlarge)

Below; Sparks from burning a thin strip of nitrocellulose lacquer sprinkled lightly with Ti Swarf. NC lacquer is poured on a plastic surface, spread thin, lightly salted with Ti swarf while wet and allowed to dry. Note the beautiful branching spark effects. Great noisy crackling sound too!

http://www.firefox-fx.com/images/2012_01_28_0452_thumb.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Titanium Alloy, Fine Swarf, approx 285µ, 50-60 mesh [Ti/Al/Cr/V/] Stock # C196TIS - FS

Edited by Zingy

I'd like to add that while the Skylighter article discusses Titanium flake (Space shuttle fuel tank alloy?) All my experience is with sponge. 40-60 mesh is particularly nice for backyard sized fountains.

I'm wondering if nitrocellulose might have similar properties with regular Ti as AP mixes do... Without knowing what is causing this noisy branching in the AP mixes it is hard to know.

If this new alloy does this in all mixes, I still advise Ammonium perchlorate mixes, ideally Resinox based because of the quality of the colours achievable and the benefits of having a high ISP, though I concede that regular colour formulas would often suffice too. Half a dozen colour/spark/effect changes can really make a fountain special.

This alloy seems to be closely related to the "Grade 5", the workhorse in the industry (more details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_alloy).

I can only see the branching as being usefull for indoor or ground items (the indoor cake candles all use Ti and the branching is very visible).

Edited by a_bab

I probably have some of this

A freind that works at a facility building Jet engines gave me some very fine Ti

It came from milling engine parts