APC Forum

Hobby Horse ceramic media

Mumbles

Jim at Hobby Horse has been selling 3/4" and 1" media recently. I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience with it, particularly in milling live compositions. I'm looking to rebuild, and might go ceramic.

I'd be 100% comfortable with ceramic from a well established supplier like Coortek or something like that. Just looking for practical experience with it, as it's said to be made in China.

Have had good luck with the ceramic media from Pyrocreations. They are reasonable in price and heavy enough to mill prilled nitrate in couple hours easily in the 6lb mill jars. Not too pretty though as they look like cosmetic rejects.

http://www.pyrocreat...ail/11955/49189

There's a mix group and larger cylinder group. Haven't tried those.

Edited by Bobosan

I know a couple of people that use cheap ceramic (most likely chinese) media for live compositions, though I dare not say anything about it's quality of safety. I would treat it as a sparking media if it's not 100 percent.

You haven't already, there is a thread on Passfire in Buyer seller feedback from Aaron on the first page of topics. I am wondering the same thing myself because I need media too.

I did not see that thread before I asked my question here, but I do now recall seeing the thread. Only one person really mentioned milling live BP with it. I tried searching Passfire for info on this, but the search doesn't seem to work for any posts made in the last 6 months so that thread wasn't found. I mentioned this to Kyle, but still haven't heard anything about it.

My concerns still aren't mitigated. I might ask around to see if anyone has any spare media from an established supplier, or perhaps see if people are interested in a Coorstek group buy or something.

Sorry, that's all I got on the subject. I'll be ordering some from him but it will be for a single chem. I have no worries as compared to what you want to do.

Mark

I did not see that thread before I asked my question here, but I do now recall seeing the thread. Only one person really mentioned milling live BP with it. I tried searching Passfire for info on this, but the search doesn't seem to work for any posts made in the last 6 months so that thread wasn't found. I mentioned this to Kyle, but still haven't heard anything about it.

My concerns still aren't mitigated. I might ask around to see if anyone has any spare media from an established supplier, or perhaps see if people are interested in a Coorstek group buy or something.

If we did a group buy, what would the media cost us?

I might be interested in a group buy. I need media for a larger mill.

I'm not sure if Coorstek would do a walk-in sale or not, but I work about 2 miles from their main office. If anyone wants to do a group buy, or even individuals, I might be able to save some on shipping for them by purchasing locally and shipping in USPS flat rate boxes, or something.

I'll look into seeing if they allow consumers to buy direct.