APC Forum

Fusing bottle rockets

dangerousamateur

Hi,

I'm working with a batch of little coreburners, the spindle has a 1/8" nozzle.

Normally I use just viscofuse and isolate it with masking tape for a fast and efficient liftoff.

Do you think with these small cores I can just use Blackmatch?

Will the core create a quickmatch?

I use smaller diameter visco for 1/4" BP coreburners, the roll might be 1/8" diamter. A little piece sticks right into the core and I secure it to the stick with a small piece of tape. If there is whistle in the mix, I just tape the fuse with the tip just barely touching the fuel grain. Black match works just fine too.

I use sometimes visco, sometimes BM for bottle rockets and they work just fine, so I think that depends on your own preriotets

Every commercial bottle rocket I've seen uses tiny visco fuses, like 1mm in diameter. Problem is I've never seen visco that small from any pyro supplier I saw. The smallest that I saw pyro suppliers sell are around 2.1mm in diameter.

Every commercial bottle rocket I've seen uses tiny visco fuses, like 1mm in diameter. Problem is I've never seen visco that small from any pyro supplier I saw. The smallest that I saw pyro suppliers sell are around 2.1mm in diameter.

Not really a problem. For my BP coreburners I use visco+quickmatch. They don't use quickmatch in customer rockets either ;)

Not really a problem. For my BP coreburners I use visco+quickmatch. They don't use quickmatch in customer rockets either ;)

I agree that works well on standard BP rockets in larger sizes. Do you make some really tiny QM that will fit in the core of a 1/4" rocket?

I agree that works well on standard BP rockets in larger sizes. Do you make some really tiny QM that will fit in the core of a 1/4" rocket?

I actually got plenty of commercial QM for free, so I really don't have to make, but I think it might fit into such a rocket, yes.

I do not doubt that it works, but will it work as a quickmatch and ignite the core at it's full length immediately???

That's very important for me.

I have never cared to test and see if the visco lights the core from the top. I don't have any piped match that will fit in such a small core, and my 1/4" rockets don't waste any time getting into the air.

No, you guys do not understand.

I meant NAKED blackmatch!

NOT quickmatch!

The idea is that the core makes the pipe!

Would that work?

Edited by dangerousamateur

No, you guys do not understand.

I meant NAKED blackmatch!

NOT quickmatch!

The idea is that the core makes the pipe!

Would that work?

Well, probably, if the core is pretty narrow. I have naked blackmatch as well. I can test it some day.

I know Pyrocreations has 1.5 mm and 1.8 mm visco fuse for sale. I use the 1.5 mm visco on my br's, no problems and works just fine.

I don't know. I would think with plain black match you would be lighting at the edge of the fuel grain. However such a tiny core has so little surface area, it is going to light quickly no matter how you fuse it. I don't have a better answer because I have put so little effort into bottle rockets. Like I said, mine lift off fast with just a piece of visco stuck in the core and held with tissue paper, so I have not thought more about it. They are fun and quick to make, so no need to make it any more complicated.

I have made little rockets of a similar size to this. Raw blackmatch inside work just fine. Mine had a 2mm choke, and a single strand of the flat Chinese quickmatch removed from its piping does the job perfectly.

It will light the rocket somehow, I dont doubt that.

I shot two yesterday, one with visco and one with blackmatch, there was no difference, both lifted very fast.

Seems like it is not so important to topfuse as it is in larger motors.

It will light the rocket somehow, I dont doubt that.

I shot two yesterday, one with visco and one with blackmatch, there was no difference, both lifted very fast.

Seems like it is not so important to topfuse as it is in larger motors.

Where you fuse the rocket is not based off of size primarily, but more so off the burn rate of your fuel. If the fuel is rather slow, sometimes it's required to light at the top of the core so it can get the entire core burning and produce decent lifting pressure. Often larger core burners do use slower fuels, as fast ones tend to make too many salutes on sticks. But even little whistle rockets can CATO from being lit at the top of the core, because the fuel burns so fast. Everything about rockets is custom tailored, you have to figure out what fuel works with your tooling and tubes, and how you need to fuse it for it to function reliably. Usually there is not a generic, all purpose answer. Glad to hear you have yours working.