APC Forum

Potassium Perchlorate Legality

Guest Mark_the_pyro

Guest Mark_the_pyro

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5151

Argh this is ridiculous. I emailed ebay about this, and they confirmed it saying it was true, because of environmental concerns. I tried googling this but I couldn't find any information relative to this. Well I did, but this was it:

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/PO/potassium_perchlorate.html

Notice the toxicology section. I guess this is the reason why eBay has banned it. I personally find this very disturbing because not only is ownership of the chemical 100% legal, eBay (and you can even include the CPSC) believe if it has the capability to be turned into something potentially harmful, then there is no doubt it absolutely will be used that way. I believe that, and also the fact regardless of that that people must be treated like 3 year olds. Yeah, I realize some of it may be for liability concerns, but I absolutely hate the eBay mentality of "you MIGHT burn your finger, it COULD make salutes, so thats why we dont have it" I am not exactly sure the direction I am going for in this thread, but I think that we ought to write a petition to ebay stating this is clearly a ridiculous rule, and it needs to be taken down.

I guess coporations are much more responsible than people/invidiuals. I mean god forbid chemical company X would EVEN think of dumping tons of chemicals into the river. If the government even gave a flying fuck about the enviroment they start ass raping the son of a bitches who are really doing the majority of the polluting.

On a completly unrelated note... California sucks a big fat floppy donkey dick.

I have to completely agree, Cali sucks hard!!!

But yes, Ebay is forbiding the sale of perchlorate.

But yes, Ebay is forbiding the sale of perchlorate.

Yes, but what the potassium salt of hydroysed chlorine (VII) oxide? Can you still sell that ;)

anything other then KClO4 you can sell.

Perc is the horrible enemy right now. But chlorate is just fine by ebay, shows how much they really know.

I guarantee you the CPSC had their hands in this. Ironically they are just driving more business to the company they are currently waging war on.

• 11 months later...
Guest Mark_the_pyro

(11mo rez)

I talked to eBay customer service regarding this tonight, and after an hour of the person doing research in an attempt to pacify me, he stated it was banned because it is a component in making fireworks, and that it harms the environment. After showing Darwin (lol the irony of his name) all the other components on eBay, and why these are not banned and only why perc is, he transfered me to his supervisor. 20 minutes later, she came, argued the same points, as I argued mine. So she simply said to email their safety department regarding this policy. These our my points I want to make in it......

-Why perc is the ONLY chemical banned. Just to name a few "components" I found in a minute, Aluminum of any mesh, magnesium, titanium, charcoal, barium nitrate, potassium nitrate, and ammonium nitrate can be bought on eBay right now.

-KClO4 has uses in chemistry as well.

-Amateur pyrotechnics is a rapidly expanding legal hobby in the United States.

I need to keep this message to 10k characters max, does anyone have anything to add? :)

EDIT- I just noticed thermite is gone from eBay too, which is irrelevant, but still, it fuels this fire. :angry:

You trying to give them a list of other stuff to ban? Maybe leave SOME of that stuff off?

You could point out that they don't ban the sale of paris green, which is certainly a much more directly harmful chemical, or dichromate for another.

edit: read that UK toxicology report, that's vague at best. It's horrible, in fact - it doesn't list doses, the basis of toxicology. The usual MSDS is more specific than this.

see: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/P5983.htm

Chlorate is a bit worse, but the LD50 is still like 15-30g for a normal human. That's a lot of chlorate to choke down, and the LD50 for paris green... 5mg/kg - that's about 150-500mg for a fatal dose. Keep in mind a marginal fatal dose of paris green is a lot more likely to kill you than the chlorate.

You gotta realize that the people behind this have little to no backround on the uses and dangers of these chemicals and as such will go along with what others say. They are aware that KClO4 is a major component in M-80s and know that there are a lot more fruity 15 year-olds making big BOOOOOOMS!! than legitimate pyrotechnics.

After showing Darwin (lol the irony of his name) all the other components on eBay,

I don't suppose you stopped to think of the possible consequences of that before you had your little conversation did you?

Who's side are you on?

Guest Mark_the_pyro

A stupid question will yield you a stupid answer. If people are mentioning in their ads for charcoal or whatever "works great with x device in pyrotechnics!," it becomes rather obvious what its use is. I was educating the two I talked to, regarding how ridiculous their policy is.

And another side of me wants to completely abandon the BS with eBay, and maybe work with others on making a pyrotechnics bidding place. It seems much more sensible to do that. TweetyBird88 is right, these folks have little true knowledge on the compounds they ban. If only their policy department knew how to UTFSE...... :rolleyes: