APC Forum

Thermite Fe203 / Al Question

bigj43454

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but it seems to fit best here.

Okay my thermite question revolves around this video so please watch it to answer my question best.

I have worked with thermite in the past it wasn't a huge success. What mixture of thermite is this that it can be ignited with simple touch paper or fuse? I have always used magnesium ribbon =) I also wanted to know what is the best composition of thermite that would burn the hottest or at least a plate of steel.

What mixture of thermite is this that it can be ignited with simple touch paper or fuse?

Normal red iron stuff with dark flash aluminium.

I never got my thermite started with atomized aluminium, no chance. Perchlorate hotprime, sparklers, nothing works. A filmcan of the dark flake stuff in there - works like a charm.

Braniac is well known for faking their results, or at least tweaking for a more dramatic result. I'd expect that to be the case in this video actually.

For something that is more fuse sensitive, you might look toward a CuO/Al starting mixture or "thermate". I've gotten normal thermite to go with Mg ribbon and sparkler-type ignition devices. It's quite possible to light thermite made with quite coarse Al in this method. The stuff we use for demos is probably not much finer than 50-100 mesh atomized/granular Al.

I basically step prime with slow flash (5:3:2 Potassium nitrate:-325 mesh flake Aluminium:Sulfur.) Just a gram or two of 50:50 Slow Flash:Thermite on top followed by a gram or two of Slow Flash. The slow flash is easily initiated by visco.