APC Forum

Why make (per) chlorate?

propellanttech

I know I am a new guy around here, but I've been involved with making and firing pyrotechnics since '93.

I have to ask....why would you make your own (per)chlorate?

I understand in some countries it may be necessary to do, as the material would not be easily obtainable.

I also know some people will do it, because it can be done.

I just see the process as a complicated procedure which I'm not highly interested in.

I posted this is the Random forum, due to the fact it is not directly related to the chemistry of the process.

PT

I also think that such a complicated synthezis is unnecessary to do, if you can get hold of perchlorate for say under 10€/kilo.

Some wanted to figure out the chemistry behind it, but many people myself included make them because it's so expensive here. Making chlorate isn't really all that complicated thanks to MMO, you can just run the cell all you want and the anode would last nearly forever, and you get really good yield of chlorate as well. Perchlorate is much harder however.

Some have to pay more than $40 dollars per kilo for perchlorate, and half as much for chlorate.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

some people wants to make it owing to their interest and even though you have access to it what about its reliablity in future?

I also think that such a complicated synthezis is unnecessary to do, if you can get hold of perchlorate for say under 10€/kilo.

Well what you have said maybe right, but then again why make any fireworks with the time involed cost of material,ect... you can buy cheaper in most if not all cases. Oh yet let's not forget that is some places it is illegal to make fireworks or to even have them..........Pat

I have to ask, why the parenthesis around the "per"? I have never seen it written that way except for this site.

In some places perchlorate is harder to find that in others. The original stated aim of the perc thread was to have a method to hand for if and when perc ceased to be retail available.

Thanks for the replies. I figured the general consensus was what I was thinking. I'm sure if perchlorate or chlorate became difficult to obtain, I would try my hand at making it. The ease of availability at this point makes the endeavor moot.

Some one stated this was the same with making pyrotechnics, which isn't the case. There are many things I can make which I can not buy. I can make things that no one else makes....which places me as the creator, even if someone else has done it before.

With the state of the world, it probably is important to know the procedure to make it. I'll probably study on it some, just for the knowledge.

PT

Edited by propellanttech

It's an attempt by some to denote both chlorate and perchlorate.

It should probably better be written /per/chlorate.

In some places perchlorate is harder to find that in others. The original stated aim of the perc thread was to have a method to hand for if and when perc ceased to be retail available.

Chlorates and perchlorates were licensed in my country from 1942 to 1988. I never heard that anyone had problems to get hold of potassium chlorate, though, and then I don't mean with a permit.

It will probably (and hopefully) be so, that there will be an underground trade of chlorates and perchlorates when the police state bans them.

Chlorates and perchlorates requires a license in my country when you have more than 50kg of it. But there are no black market for it because no hobbyist is going to get such large quantities. They are just really expensive, but chlorate is so easy to make that it can be made so cheaply