APC Forum

priming time fuse

butch

I have some old time fuse, wondering weather it would be ok to dip one end in nitrocellulose lacquer and then in some meal powder to make sure it takes fire. Thanks for any info

yep, it will work fine.

I suggest thin the laquer a bit first, a thick coat will throw the timing off a bit, but unless your working with timed inserts it won't be a problem.

I've had more luck using fine granular BP as opposed to meal powder. I like the idea of sharp grains and edges to help take fire.

I have added about 1/4" extra to the fuse and split it with a razor blade and pryed it open a bit and have yet not had one fail to take fire...or split and dip in bp slurry...

The only thing about this method is your not likely going to get a shell that you can fire the same day( unless your starting quite early in the day with NC/bp slurry. I have always gone with the thinking, that it is worth the little extra effort to crossmatch your time fuse. I have had a failure once with the alternative method( which may have been due to a not completely cured lacquer. ) . This has caused me to consider just doing things the "easier route", and go with a guarantee. Timed inserts would be one exemption, due to the masses made, and fallout not being as heavy as a dead falling shell heading earth-bound.

What I use for prime on visco is Pine BP (mix of mill dust and 4Fa) with +7% Red Gum in Alcohol. I use a small brush to apply, it dries in about 30 mins. With Acetone:NC I would think it has a dry time of about 10 mins.