APC Forum

Visco probalems

dynomike1

Here's one that i never thought would happen. I built a 4" about a couple weeks ago and tried to shoot it while ago. I taped my E-match to the Visco hit the button saw a little flash then nothing, so i went down there to replace the E-match and the Visco was kinda black so i put another E-match on it after cutting some of the Visco off had a pretty good flash still didn't light so i just lit it with a torch. Reckon i had a bad spot in the Visco? I have used probably used 60' out of that roll with out any problems.

the connection method is critical, cut the visco at 45° exposing the core , slip a short length of qm over the visco and tape the bottom shut, now insert the ematch in the qm and tape closed, wire it up as normal.

You could of course put the ematch in the lift cup ( some dont like to ) but make sure you either tape it to the mortar or wrap a couple of turns around something solid to prevent it pulling your firing system.

Or slide the ematch in the qm leader before firing.

Dan.

Visco doesn't really take fire from the side... you have to expose enough of the powder core for it to take fire properly. Either use a Talon or cut it at a 45 degree angle. Otherwise it's probably better to tape the E-match to the black match core of the quickmatch than use visco unless you're after a few second delay before the shell fires.

If I was electric firing, I would just ematch the leader, with no visco. For matching visco, I like to take a razor blade and cut a slit in it lengthwise, and open it up a bit to expose the powder core. To that I would add the quick match section Dan explained, or even a piece of folded over tape with a sprinkle of black powder in it would work. An ematch is just a fast flash of fire, usually in a explosive pop, and it doesn't light anything that doesn't take fire really easy.

That's what i thought about doing,You know i figured if i stuck the Visco in the E-match it would work w/no problems, so i will start using BM. Thanks

Mike

I went back and checked my fuse and cut 4' of bad fuse out of it then tried to burn it. It tried to burn but couldn't.

for e-match, you can insert the e-match directly inside the quickmatch, for ignite visco fuse, i recommand to use "talon igniter"

Didn't even think about that. That roll is about gone anyway.