APC Forum

Which camera do you use

pyrogeorge

Hi,

I start this topic to post the model of our cameras for filming fireworks.

It is good idea to post model and a video from the camera.

I start with my camera.

Sanyo Xacti VP-CG21

http://www.dday.it/userFiles/FCK/articles/2636/SANYO_CG21_grey_sideangle_open_LR_thumb.jpg

Rolled stars

Edited by pyrogeorge

Indeed, and very good colors on film, if you don´t accidently choose QVGA unaware of what this means :)

(btw: is there already a thread about how to film or photograph fireworks properly?)

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Lumix GH-2, and the Sanyo Xacti VP-CG20 before that. Both are very good at shooting fireworks. The Sanyo is particularly impressive for being so inexpensive (though unfortunately I believe it has been discontinued). The GH-2 is also a lot more camera than the price tag would suggest, but even being as good a deal as it is the price may be a bit high for someone who just wants to capture fireworks once a month. Edited by NightHawkInLight

I also had a Canon Powershot before I had the Sanyo. Also very good at shooting fireworks for what it is.

I would appreciate any recommendations, on cameras, for people with large hands or fingers. I seen cameras, that have the control buttons, that appeared designed for the fingers of a three year old child.

Thank You.

The camera on my Samsung Note and my Lumix DMC-LX5. I have a Go-Pro HD but it sucks for low light video

Can you share a video from go pro please?

The go pro camera has got to be one of the best marketed and overdue inventions second only to the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer. A durable, waterproof camera should have been released by one of the big camera companies a decade ago, who knows why it wasn't. I haven't played around with a go pro much, but if there are settings to turn off any auto color correcting and such it might not be so bad for fireworks. The wide angle lens would make them look pretty far away though, unless the camera was right up close to the mortars. Edited by NightHawkInLight

dagabu have you got any fireworks video to see the night scene?

I have a go pro camera but i haven't record fireworks yet.

I have a Sony HDR - Cx115E

Shoots in 1080i and with the proper editing software makes damn good videos for a 400€ camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvKcK5xugs (change the format of the video to 1080i)

I think I used Corel VideoStudio to edit this, there's a free trial version. Free software just doesn't cut it.

In case any of you are looking to get into semi pro to professional quality video, it should be noted that in recent years DSLR's and DSLR equivalents such as the GH-2 I use, or the newer GH-3, have far outran traditional video cameras in quality and capability, only rivaled by dedicated video cameras costing five digits or more. There is one brand new camera in the same price point that beats out DSLR's in most aspects, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which should be considered as well, if you have the computing capability to deal with raw footage.

My brother is a film guy (by profession and hobby) and owns a Cannon T3i. To him the most important feature is having a good selection of high quality lenses to choose from. He keeps talking about getting a fish-eye lens so he can more effectively film my displays.

He also tells me the only reason traditional video cameras are still used is because they look more professional. Apparently some people also accessorize their DSLRs to give the same effect. I'm not sure what it would look like, but I'm picturing rails and tac lights, haha...

I have a Sony HDR-SR5. I had to send it out for repair and found out the LCD screen was bad (flaky). It will cost me $180 and is well worth the repair. I like the 80X zoom and the big hard drive. Not to mention it did good with the fireworks shots as well as others. All of my pics and vids are from this camera.

My brother is a film guy (by profession and hobby) and owns a Cannon T3i. To him the most important feature is having a good selection of high quality lenses to choose from. He keeps talking about getting a fish-eye lens so he can more effectively film my displays.

He also tells me the only reason traditional video cameras are still used is because they look more professional. Apparently some people also accessorize their DSLRs to give the same effect. I'm not sure what it would look like, but I'm picturing rails and tac lights, haha...

Yep, the T3i is a great affordable and professional quality camera, though lacking in some manual control that would be nice for video but was not designed in because it was originally focused on photographers alone. Lenses are certainly everything. There is still some use for traditional video cameras, but as I said, only the ones that are about $35,000 and up can beat a good DSLR, such as a RED Epic, and it's now even debatable that the RED can beat the vastly less expensive Blackmagic camera.

As far as accessorizing a DSLR, this is something like what my rig looks like, though I'm certain mine was about 10 fold less expensive: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/718/625/461/461625718_712.jpg

A shoulder rig is necessary many times for shooting video with DSLR's because the small camera body doesn't offer much stability on its own and so you would get a shaky image without something to give you more points of contact with your body, and a little weight to balance it out.

DSLRs are great, but there are a whole load of considerations for video which DSLRs still really struggle with. Dedicated video cameras are still widely used by professionals, for good reason. Look up magic lantern if you have a DSLR or are thinking about getting one for video.

I'll add a few videos from my Canon 7D when I get a chance. I really love shooting with it at 60FPS. I recently got the 5D MKII but haven't had a chance to shoot any pyro with it, I'm sure it will be lovely when I get round to it :)