APC Forum

Real life pyro newb/kewl people and handling ignorance

imisscookie

An issue I have, or perhaps the burden lies with the friend, is seeming impatient to deeper reasoning, like behind safety and chemistry, he just wants it simplified down to recipes and sources. When I've talked about what experiment or thing I happened to be exploring with flash or another mix, he has shown some interest (and not knowing anyone else interested I wanted him to be), but seems to have such poor attention span, its been like i'm having to bother with it, repeating myself, etc. So i've been conservative in what i have shared, and which is why he gets vague answers when asking of sources. I get the hate for k3wl first hand now and what that term means; impatient desire for result and ability, but without knowledge or understanding of the causes, and willingness to trust any recipes which may come easy.

Maybe that isn't giving him a fair chance yet, as he's new and maybe was overwhelmed with the info i shared (i was sort of trying to give ability to make his own mixes, maybe i'm biased for how much experimenting and research time i've spent)...another person long ago offered quite an aversive dvd obtained at a gun show on boom stuff and anarchist-cookbook sounding junk, he probably didn't expect me to politely decline a look or copy, and since he was being kind I didn't bring up the health and legal danger, and my philosophical bitterness and annoyance towards such recipes. And when I see kcl04 multiple times, like in 'big bang pack' it makes me think zero stands for knowledge of chemistry writer has; when sold for money, I don't care anymore if recipes a kewl may find has dangerous stuff like kmno4; those who don't respect and learn will get bit. I don't want anyone i know to get bit, but won't repeat myself too many times.

Maybe i'm hypocritical because I certainly would want recipes from informed source especially involving colors, without knowing exactly what the chemicals are doing; some variables are beyond stoiciometry. But i'm not trying to share my esoteric interests, just expect patience to learn basic principals, and if not, they shouldn't be able to make stuff. But they do, and that's why most accidents happen, lack of respect.

I'll refuse to participate after I get a better idea, if recipe, minimal ability to follow it, and result is all that his mind is open to, I've already given safety warnings about static/dust. Since obtaining only a only small amount of low quality Al, kclo4 (from gun show, aluminum seems glitter sized but makes low pitch pop noise in paper), i don't think sensitivity will get him into an accident, as I tried to set some off with electricity, sparks and pounding with no reaction; so i feel no obligation to beg someone's attention to summarize basics which manifest from deeper principals.

Anyone else have problems with newb friends or have similar snobby complaints I have? Do you say lighten up and have fun, blast away together? What is the sign to give up and let them on their own, disregarding possibility they get trouble or accident to come back and bite your starting involvement in the ass?

Edited by imisscookie

I might be wrong on this, but I try to stay away from people like that. You may try to teach them or warn them once or twice, but unless it is someone you truly can’t stand the thought of them getting hurt (like a family member) I would just blow them off and think to myself “He knows nothing, and is being ignorant. If he gets hurt or in trouble with the law I just don’t want to be there when it happens”

It sounds like you yourself (judging just by this one post of yours) are a bit “kewl”. I could be wrong but it sounds like you want something to go bang more then you appreciate the art of pyrotechnics.

If someone does not like fireworks for the beauty of the art and more for the bang it is damn near impossible to change that.

I would hate to see anybody get unreasonably hurt especially if I were to posses the knowledge to prevent such a thing from happening, but if someone is dead set in their ways you can’t change it. So it is better to let what is enviable happen and not be there to take blame.

• Like 1

I find the hobbies of a pyrotechnics can be lonely road at times , It is that way as it has to be .My shed door opens outwards ,I always work 1 step inside so if something should happen iam only 1 step from being outside . yes friends are interested to come look at what I have made when its time to fire them only from a safe distance . A few have asked how they are made I simply point them to my bookshelf and say have a read .I would not feel safe if there were 2 people in my shed trying to experiment at the same time . its a big no on safety grounds .

pyroshell +1 fully agree

I think this is your problem, "(and not knowing anyone else interested I wanted him to be), but seems to have such poor attention span". It seems like your more interested in showing someone what you can do then he is in learning the art of fireworks. If someone has an obviously poor attention span(your own observation), why is making flash the first step in your seminar? If anything, I would suggest building a small colored shell together so he could get an idea of how they work. Then later on, launch that shell to get the satisfaction of seeing something you built burst beautify in the sky. Also, have everything pre made (bp and stars) so its just assembling. Then, later on if things are going well move onto making stars, bp, etc. That is assuming you have made something besides things that go boom... Your previous posts suggest not.

if someone is truly interested they will find their way, we all did. Only select family members know of my interests, i dont involve friends for a few reasons: first its just too risky to share the knowledge in the event of injury i would never forgive myself.

Second: once you gain a certain amount of experience its hard to not only explain but also for the recipitent to understand as you do, the love is lost.

Third: i dont have the time or patience to explain things like how rolling tubes or making tools is just as fun as lighting fuses, i consider these activities/chores an important part of the hobby that should come before making flash.

If your friend shows no sign of potential quit while you're ahead i would be very hesitant to teach anybody i know personally about flash unless they first master the basics and show competence.

The time it takes to learn safety, construction, materials etc can not be replaced by a bit of hands on experience alone.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

It sounds like you yourself (judging just by this one post of yours) are a bit “kewl”. I could be wrong but it sounds like you want something to go bang more then you appreciate the art of pyrotechnics.

I'm not sure how far my interest and skill will take me in making good fireworks; I think you may be right by a broader definition, but i've always appreciated the beauty of colored fireworks more than the excitement of bangs; wasn't until relatively recently I found out people actually can make pyro , without being raided, which vague understanding of law so far says not to worry. I started with flash, I understand the stigma and realize i'll be called hypocrite but do have experience with dangerous chems.

It seems like your more interested in showing someone what you can do then he is in learning the art of fireworks.

I'm interested in sharing the science behind the art; the rules which govern how to invent mixes based on understanding. When general subject comes up,I've brought up are BP, elements for colors, fuel-oxidizer, basics of flash hazards and safety.

Edited by imisscookie

• 2 weeks later...
I got into pyrotechnics by way of model rocketry. I used to build a kit every summer in Maine. A friend asked why I didn't scratch build my rockets, and I took it to heart. I started making my own sugar motors for rockets. Then you have to have an "ejection charge" to deploy the parachute. Thus, make your own BP. From there it wasn't to long before I was launching baseballs to test power, and then plastic Easter egg shells with "mystery mix" inside them. I'm a "young at heart" old man(45). Flash powder kind of scared me so it was about a year or so before I tried to make some. I make 10 gram batches and let me tell you, even 1 gram makes a hell of a bang!!! I made a 3 inch shell with 8 smaller shells each having about 2 grams flash. Shot it out of my mortar. At 100 feet BBBOOOOOMMMM!!!! I scared the ever lovin bejezus out of people at local businesses. I was showing off... Being "Kewl"... I felt so bad :( I wanted to approach pyro as a learning experience, but knew what that shell would do and I launched it anyway (making me a butt-hole). Meanwhile, I make beautiful colored stars! My friends and family love my fireworks. I've learned the pitfalls of experimenting with this stuff. Finding good chemical combinations has been difficult, but once you have a few you can make some cool fireworks. Sharing good BP and shell building technique is the best way to spark the interest of potential pyros. Save the Flash recipes for much later...

• 3 months later...
With all due respect and at risk of sounding "k3wl", some of us are interested in pyro for reasons other than strictly making any type of firework (including salutes). Personally, though I do enjoy a good shell or girandola, I view pyrotechnics as more of a scientific endeavor than an artistic one. I am more interested in the physics and chemistry behind their operation than I am in the colorful patterns which they leave in the sky. The end result is just an added benifit to the research and labor put into the actual manufacturing process. That being said, Imisscookie, I would probably look for a different friend to enjoy your hobby with. You want someone who's knowledge will grow with your own that you can share ideas and experiences with, not someone who is going to hold you back and ultimately get you either hurt or arrested.

I was on YouTube the other day and I watched this video on a 6 or 7 shot salute cake. It was rather simple and your standard amatuer flash sort of thing. I later was talking to the guy and he said that he ONLY EVER USES ARMSTRONG MIX for lift! After alot of emails telling him the dangers etc he told me to 'F*ck off' and I left him alone.

There are lots of people out there who are all for the 100g flash powder bangers. In many ways I think that they're missing out on what proper pyro can offer.

( by the way I'm young ish and have a passion for pyro. I'm very willing to learn about it all and love to hear people's views/story's! )

Edited by ollie1016