APC Forum

Why do you make fireworks?

Zumber

Oinikis, I went just the other way - I was involved in high-power rocketry for about 15 years (and still occasionally fly) but moved to mostly pyrotechnics.

KO

• 3 weeks later...

The reason i started fireworks goes back to when i was about 2 or 3 ish, my dad use to bring home the interesting things i had no clue what they where ( I now know that they where fire one units and rails ) and i just found interest in playing with them , my dad use to let my brother and sister help set up rack for his shows , and i use to sit in the front of the truck and watch them, than i was walked up to the top of the hill and my sister watched over me, as my brother went to play on the play ground to play and my mom and dad were down at the site loading the shells,after that from the hill top i watched thew fireworks , the finale was always my favorite because of how loud and cool it was :D , This was the beginning of my interest.

But what cause me to love and have a passion for fireworks, well fast forward 3-4 years to where i was about six living with my grandparents , siblings , and my mom ( My dad was taken to prison when i was 5 ) and my first 4th of July i had there my mom brought me to a fireworks stand ans she bought me some fireworks for the house ( Safe n Sane stuff of course ) and while i was there i fell in love with the colors , looks , and just how interesting everything at the stand was, i remember my mom was working on her car and i kept begging her to let me See what one of those things would do, so she lit it off and i was taken into how beautiful the fountain was ( if i remember right it was called "The buzzing bee fountain " ) and that sparked the passion for loving fireworks.

now fast forward about a year and half to where i was at our new house we were settled down with money, and my brother was sitting on the porch lighting and throwing matches, i was interested of how the match worked, this caused me to ask my mom for my own computer so i could look it up, she took me out to get and computer , which is a think a 2007 Hp Pavilion Desktop Version , and i waited a week to get internet, when i got internet i researched "how making matches works " well some dating websites came up , but the one that interested me was a website that showed the ingredients of making matches, following that i researched those chemicals by copy and pasting them into the computer and i came across different website that talked about using them for "boomers ;) " and i researched how to make those boomers , This sparked an interest in explosives , which led me to figure out how grenades worked , and such, but none of those caught my eye as much as this " Shell thing " did and i came across a few videos showing how shells where made , following that was stars , black powder and soon i was taking par these fireworks my mom got and making my own contraptions, a few years later at age a 8 or 9 i was a full on pyromaniac , sneaking out of the house to go take gas from my mom car , taking her lighter and catching this on fire, throwing gas into a fire , But an eye awaking thing happened when i was with my brother , and my moms Bf son , we had a great idea to throw a bottle of gas into a fire , it didn't do much besides melt a little and catch the gas on fire, but the bottle looked like it only had a small hole in it, so i decided to throw a brick at it to split the bottle and get the fire going , all was dandy to i threw the brick at it , which cause it to explode , catching my hair and cloths on fire , after this my mom was pissed . I never laid my hand on a lighter for that whole year, the following year i decided i would stop with this catching crap on fire , and started to just buy fuse and i started making visco fuse rockets , this got me into making shells out of fuse , than following that i started making fountains , and than shells . this has lead me to today where i now and running full Op, finding new ideas and trying them , putting safety first and making the eye of and artist spread wider than a piece of canvas or paper , screw pencils, i have hands and chemicals, getting dirty, pasting shells and lighting up the air is what i do , I am a pyrotechnican , an artist with fire. Its Hand crafted genius and i wouldn't trade it for anything.. This is how i , Steven, got into this wonderful art and tradition im gonna spread through my family line , keeping this craft alive..

~Steven.T

P.S , this is quite an abridged story, if you have any question about how i got started and why i do this just ask :)

• 1 month later...

I suppose there are many factors that play a part in why I make and so love fireworks. Among them I'm sure my fathers influence as a retired Navy (SeaBee) explosives tech, his pyromania and hence us always seeming to have fireworks of one form or another while I was growing up. Also among my reasons, the challenge of producing quality fireworks effects. Both from the standpoint of the knowledge, thought and creativity required to do so and that of ones ability to implement the aforementioned working with ones own two hands. The list goes on and on really.
However my favorite reason is fairly simple (although be it perhaps a bit romantic a notion, I'll stand by it), it's the seemingly universal beauty of fireworks. The sights, sounds and smell of them and how their barrage on the senses can often move even the most stony of people to "Oooo"s, Ahh"s and "Holy shit look at that one!"s
I also think it speaks volumes for the character of people who look at something as potentially destructive as fire and explosive chemical compositions etc. and say to themselves (at whatever level) "I can make something beautiful with that" and set out to do so.
I have always been a fan of things that have the power to move people; to trill them, fill them with wonder, delight and so on. In this sense fireworks are (in my opinion) a more perfect poetry than the written word can either adequately express or produce; written upon the heavens in short fleeting bursts. Alas not everyone loves good poetry but nearly everyone loves watching fireworks.
In simplest terms fireworks and making them brings me immense satisfaction on many levels and watching them brings others enjoyment as well. What better reasons could there be for practicing a particular art form[?] and thats my 3 cents worth :D

Edited by Wolverine

I started making fireworks because I love to see the expressions of people, specially children when they're watching something I created from scratch, I love getting people interested in the technical and scientific aspects of the hobby. (that gets their minds off of the... "can you make something to blow stuff up"), but most importantly I started making fireworks because of that feeling of accomplishment you get when you light a fuse and a few seconds later you see a beautiful colorful burst of sparks and stars in the sky, I will never forget the very first successful shell I shot, watching it fly up in the sky (great, lift charge worked!!!) thinking about how it was going to explode, will it look round? what about the stars? will they all catch fire?... few seconds later (boom!!!) all my doubts dissipated... I heard some f***k yeah!!! some wows!!! I knew I had accomplished something beautiful that day. :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As a kid I loved Space, rockets and pretty much everything Nasa related. So when I discovered that you could do FIREWORK ROCKETS... AT HOME! BY YOURSELF!.... and here I am now getting ready for my 2nd new year where I will shoot my own fireworks.

We love pyrotechnics because they're a form of artistry. Why do we create art? Well, that's a personal question.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I make fireworks? Well, ever since I was a kid, I was a chemistry nerd, also, I have always been mesmerized by dramatic displays of energy (lasers and high voltage included). So making fireworks combines; chemistry and dramatic, artistic displays of energy and the fact that I actually created it is just that much more satisfying.

Edited by MadMat

I've been "addicted" to making fireworks since 1963 or '64. That's the best description of it -- an addiction.

I cannot imagine my life without the splendor, fierceness, and mystery of fireworks!

Lloyd

I've been "addicted" to making fireworks since 1963 or '64. That's the best description of it -- an addiction.

I cannot imagine my life without the splendor, fierceness, and mystery of fireworks!

Lloyd

Lloyd I'm happy to hear that after all these years of delving into the science of pyro you still appreciate the beauty of fireworks.

I've probably shot a battleship weight of HE over the years but I derive much more pleasure from a simple gerb. A well broken shell is much more appealing than a well broken rock:)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Spending lot of time building tools (star plates, hydr. press, ball mill, blackmatch machine, gummed tape dispenser, spiking horse...)

Spending lot of time using these self-made tools to engineer the shells and other devices the mot accurate and the best you can.

Spending time seeing the result once fired (always too short that time!)

Trying to always improve.

Sharing with fellows.

I agree, Sulphurstan. I also build because I enjoy the detailed handcrafting of things, and because some of the fireworks that I enjoyed as a kid in the 1960s just aren't available anymore. Thanks CPSC. Edited by PeteyPyro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure why I couldn't post as a new topic, but this thread seemed somewhat relevant and I thought most would enjoy seeing it. The Chinese invented and love fireworks and this video shows some amazing devices- never seen some of these in the past. Only 2 min long - worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_LpMB1OZ53g?feature=player_detailpage%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20allowfullscreen%3E%3C/iframe%3E&autoplay=1

I hate to burst your bubble but that was all CGI. The lack of smoke trails and burst clouds gives it away. It would be a feat though.

Yup, no gravity effects on the star's trajectory was the first give away. Too perfect as well. Nice video, even if cgi.

• 4 weeks later...

Was in a club for a while (might join again, spendy) and was bitten by the bug when I saw other members with their lovely creations that had incredible results. I've always had an interest, but after that I was taken. It's fascinating, being able to create such noise and color from what is mostly just cardboard packaging and industrial byproducts. :wub:

• 4 months later...
I try to make fireworks because it brings smile on my wife's face. My joys are immense when she praises me.

Making fireworks gives me something creative to do. the payoff is when my friends and neighbors yell and clap when you launch a good shell. or even better when you launch a big shell and everyone goes nuts. that gives me a special feeling..

When folks OOH and AHH over the things I build I love it!

I cannot (or are not allowed) to do the things I truly feel, but pyrotechnics has a lot of avenues to explore.

One day, you can be exploring various glue compositions, and the next, thinking about electronics for your newly devised test stand to measure a rocket motor performance, then wondering if NC lacquer made from ping pong balls is good enough for Dragon's Eggs.. etc... etc...

It doesn't matter, because this forum has many people with lots of knowledge, in many areas - that's what keeps me interested.

I do hope to get over to the US in the next few years and participate in a PGI event. Now, THAT would be a culmination of my, um... excitement?... can't even think of the word right now.

• Like 1

stix, you and me both. I live in the us and haven't yet been able to make it to a pgi event. And like you said, just going to one is one thing, but to participate with our own creations is the icing on the cake.

I do pyro for the challenge and knowledge, and the fun / satisfaction of having it all work out.

• 11 months later...

I do this for me, and me alone. The personal satisfaction of making something so beautiful and knowing that I did that. The byproduct of teaching my kids,is a bonus. Watching the look on there faces when there own mixes work. (Supervised by dad of course. My son is 8 and daughter is 6.)

Funny thing is, although my beautiful wife is supportive, she doesn't give a shit about fireworks. as long as everyone keeps all appendages in tact. And i don't blow up the garage.

• Like 1

I like the smell and the looks. Gives me self-pride when I accomplish a goal. I love the looks on my grandkids when one is a success and they laugh and yell with delight.

• 3 months later...
Nothing better than seeing something that you made from scratch light the sky with magic. I say magic because everyone in my family just can't figure out how it all works and is made. The smile on everyone's face after they see what can be made with patience and time. I live it all...
  • Like 1

It's kind of like fly fishing and fly tying. Caught my first trout on a fly I tied and was greatly satisfied. When I make a piece of firework and it works I feel a sense of pride/accomplishment.