APC Forum

My first rolled stars

VickeA

Hi,

I have now been sitting and what for my first batch of hand rolled stars to dry.

post-14175-0-24555900-1358437495_thumb.jpgpost-14175-0-67674000-1358437499_thumb.jpg

These stars are 1/4 inch w20 rolled on mustard seeds. Befor i made these star i tried to practice roll with white flour and i got to say rolling with real comp is much easier.

If those are your first rolled stars you are very good or very lucky :P the first batch of rolled stars i try to make was like cut stars <_<

I think hand rolling is easier than a Star Roller but i cant hold out that long. Those look good. The next problem you will probably have is getting a good break, If plastic go ahead and get a good glue.

nice stars for handrolling and your first attempt, i get a few eggs aswell ( use them for testing )

dan.

I think hand rolling is easier than a Star Roller but i cant hold out that long. Those look good. The next problem you will probably have is getting a good break, If plastic go ahead and get a good glue.

Well I have built a couple of shell in im quite pleased with the break.

Sorry for the sound. 3 inch multi break with 8mm pumped stars. Fired on NYE 2012/2013.

Edited by VickeA

If those are your first rolled stars you are very good or very lucky :P the first batch of rolled stars i try to make was like cut stars <_<

I guess but as i said i did practice with white flour. Also i think it helped that i use w20 because it is quite a bit hevier then most charcoal streamer star. However i think the most important thing is patience. It took me about 1,5-2 hours tho to roll those stars.

i did some rolled stars and then found out how long it takes to make them and dry and now i just cut mine

i would think that rolled stars would dry faster. What formula did you use for rolling?

Those look great for a first. I would also like to know what comp you used. Now you need a set of sizing screens.

I used:

W20:

48 Potassium nitrate

17 Sulphur

12 Magnalium

10 Charcoal

5 Sodium bicarbonate

4 Red iron oxide

4 SRGS

About sizing screens I might just use some drills to drill holes in some platic buckets i got

It would be tough to drill good round holes in plastic, at least with standard drill bits. The ones I have were made on a CNC milling machine and the tools used were end mills.

Thanks for posting the comp.

Edited by cogbarry

About sizing screens I might just use some drills to drill holes in some platic buckets i got

I too have tried this one. Didn't work out with either standard drill bits or with hole bits. Hope you have more luck.