• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 DeAdFX

DeAdFX

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier but...

Hmm diluting slow black powder with golden powder averages burn rate while significantly improving flame envelope. I ignited 6 grams of 50/50. The mixture was a little slower burning than straight golden powder (5-15% maybe?). When the mixture burned I felt much more heat radiating than straight golden powder.

I guess this wouldn't be too bad of a mix for those who are stuck with mediocre grade charcoal (mesquite kind). This is better than using metals to make it burn slightly hotter

#22 jaruletzu

jaruletzu

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:pyro,fireworks

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

I use the GoldenPowder formula since 2005. My chem teacher , teach me about the procedure of making GP. It's good but not the best. For me , BP is the best way to lift a shell.Here in Romania I try to buy smme KClO4 but here is not available.Can u offer me a chemichals company name maybe in Europe , a good one. Maybe from Spain??? help pls
What you don't know,will kill you!!!(explosives:P)

#23 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Pyro
    cooking
    movies

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

Um can you use strontium nitrate.
Take one pound of native sulfur, two pounds of linden or willow charcoal, and six pounds of saltpeter, which three things are very finely powderen on a marble slab. Then put as much powder as diesired into a case to make flying fire or thunder. ~ Liber Ignium ad comburendos Hostes by Marcus Graecus

#24 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

Use it for what? You really need to start specifying what you're looking for in your posts.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#25 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
    cooking
    movies

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Use it for what? You really need to start specifying what you're looking for in your posts.

Oh sorry about that I just thought it was known but it fine......
Um can you use strontium nitrate for Golden Powder instead of KNO3.....
Take one pound of native sulfur, two pounds of linden or willow charcoal, and six pounds of saltpeter, which three things are very finely powderen on a marble slab. Then put as much powder as diesired into a case to make flying fire or thunder. ~ Liber Ignium ad comburendos Hostes by Marcus Graecus

#26 DeAdFX

DeAdFX

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

I don't know to be honest. I have tried using Ammonium Nitrate but that didnt work. I ended up with a black sludge(and a faint smell of Nitrogen Oxides). I believe strontium nitrate is a little more reactive than Potassium Nitrate in solution. You might end up with a black tar and various strontium crap.

#27 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
    cooking
    movies

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Well I tried it and I symplified the ratios and maybe that was the problem but I don't know....anyway it burns super slow with small sparks and goes out easy... it still maybe to wet I'll give it another day but it looks good for fuses.
  • Titanium likes this

#28 DeAdFX

DeAdFX

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Could you describe the procedure that you used to make the Sr(NO3)2 golden powder variant.

#29 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
    cooking
    movies

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Could you describe the procedure that you used to make the Sr(NO3)2 golden powder variant.

Sure but I think what I did wrong was I didn't simplify the water...well anyway:
1. I got some Sr(NO3)2 out of a road flare.
2. I measured out .3 lbs of Sr(NO3)2 and .2 lbs Ascorbic Acid/Vitamin C
3. I measured out the 25 ml. of water
4. Put it in a glass jar and cooked it over the stove
5. It was a little wet still so I let it dry for 2 or 3 day and it looks like tiny pieces of dark green/gray dirt

#30 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
    cooking
    movies

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

this powdr isnt good enought for me. it is only good for smoke bombs thats my thinking.

I agree because I was really disapointed in it. DeAdFX flashed sort of and burned really fast my was crap to tell you the truth my smoke powder works better than it.

Do you have to cook the GP or just boil the water out?

#31 DeAdFX

DeAdFX

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:57 PM

You have to boil off all the water until you get the consistancy of macaroni and cheese and then continue heating for 5-10 minutes. If you don't know what macoroni and cheese is then keep boiling off the water until you get a goopie mass. Lower the heat and a bit and continue heating for 5-10 minutes. You should be able to produce some good golden powder

#32 mormanman

mormanman

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
    cooking
    movies

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

You have to boil off all the water until you get the consistancy of macaroni and cheese and then continue heating for 5-10 minutes.  If you don't know what macoroni and cheese is then keep boiling off the water until you get a goopie mass.  Lower the heat and a bit and continue heating for 5-10 minutes.  You should be able to produce some good golden powder

Oh ok I must have misread the procedures then wow because mine is crap right now but I am going to try to make a rocket out of it my with smoke powder/crap golden powder 1/4.
It lights fast and burns fast so I'm going to try it.

[EDIT]

Oh man it was fun but my mom got made at me for making it inside (I didn't wan't to) and it was smelly. Does anyone know why it is called golden powder because mine was black and brown not golden, my first (crappy) batch was golden.

#33 aquataur

aquataur

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Microcontrollers, Pyrotechnics, Enjoying life

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

re: Creator: Do not remember.

Golden Power is also known as "Crimson Powder".
look with a search engine and see who it is attributed to if you want to know.

-aquataur

#34 crazyboy25

crazyboy25

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

Not quote I believe crimson powderis a different formula (it contains red iron oxide) thus making it red or "crimson.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning- Robert Duvall

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#35 kaizoku

kaizoku

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I use the GoldenPowder formula since 2005. My chem teacher , teach me about the procedure of making GP. It's good but not the best. For me , BP is the best way to lift a shell.Here in Romania I try to buy smme KClO4 but here is not available.Can u offer me a chemichals company name maybe in Europe , a good one. Maybe from Spain??? help pls

try http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/ they have lot of chemicals from oxidizers to metals and even dyes so give it an try.
i almost forgot you will have to pay the shipping which isn't good for your bank account but aside from that they offer
good service and pretty cheap chemicals compared to other suppliers.
or you can always try ebay :D ( but do not expect too much from ebay)

Edited by kaizoku, 07 November 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#36 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

On their terms page, they all but outright say they don't ship chemicals internationally. You may need to find a new source.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#37 kaizoku

kaizoku

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

man you are right sir :(.
then try pyrogate.eu they sell visco fuses, dyes, sulfur.
http://www.colored-smoke.eu they sell kclo3 everything that is needed for make smoke bombs
and they even ship to the whole world except for pyrogate.eu they ship to Europe only excluding of
of the European country's. here is an list of it http://www.pyrogate....ng_pyrogate.jpg
and they provide good service.

#38 jerronimo

jerronimo

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

I still have no idea why you guys want to experiment with golden powder.
It's dangerously high explosive when heated for to long, has a limited shelflife because it's hygroscopic and has no place in pyrotechnics.
  • Ubehage likes this

#39 OrganicSynthesis

OrganicSynthesis

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Could you use sodium carbonate instead of potassium carbonate for "real" the KNO3, ascorbic acid, k carbonate mixture?

#40 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I still have no idea why you guys want to experiment with golden powder.
It's dangerously high explosive when heated for to long, has a limited shelflife because it's hygroscopic and has no place in pyrotechnics.

Thank you. That was just the information I needed to skip this page :)

• Lysdexic likes this

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users