APC Forum

Golden Powder

DeAdFX

I don't know to be honest. I have tried using Ammonium Nitrate but that didnt work. I ended up with a black sludge(and a faint smell of Nitrogen Oxides). I believe strontium nitrate is a little more reactive than Potassium Nitrate in solution. You might end up with a black tar and various strontium crap.

Well I tried it and I symplified the ratios and maybe that was the problem but I don't know....anyway it burns super slow with small sparks and goes out easy... it still maybe to wet I'll give it another day but it looks good for fuses.
  • Like 1

Could you describe the procedure that you used to make the Sr(NO3)2 golden powder variant.

Could you describe the procedure that you used to make the Sr(NO3)2 golden powder variant.

Sure but I think what I did wrong was I didn't simplify the water...well anyway:

1. I got some Sr(NO3)2 out of a road flare.

2. I measured out .3 lbs of Sr(NO3)2 and .2 lbs Ascorbic Acid/Vitamin C

3. I measured out the 25 ml. of water

4. Put it in a glass jar and cooked it over the stove

5. It was a little wet still so I let it dry for 2 or 3 day and it looks like tiny pieces of dark green/gray dirt

• 2 weeks later...
this powdr isnt good enought for me. it is only good for smoke bombs thats my thinking.

I agree because I was really disapointed in it. DeAdFX flashed sort of and burned really fast my was crap to tell you the truth my smoke powder works better than it.

Do you have to cook the GP or just boil the water out?

You have to boil off all the water until you get the consistancy of macaroni and cheese and then continue heating for 5-10 minutes. If you don't know what macoroni and cheese is then keep boiling off the water until you get a goopie mass. Lower the heat and a bit and continue heating for 5-10 minutes. You should be able to produce some good golden powder

You have to boil off all the water until you get the consistancy of macaroni and cheese and then continue heating for 5-10 minutes.  If you don't know what macoroni and cheese is then keep boiling off the water until you get a goopie mass.  Lower the heat and a bit and continue heating for 5-10 minutes.  You should be able to produce some good golden powder

Oh ok I must have misread the procedures then wow because mine is crap right now but I am going to try to make a rocket out of it my with smoke powder/crap golden powder 1/4.

It lights fast and burns fast so I'm going to try it.

[EDIT]

Oh man it was fun but my mom got made at me for making it inside (I didn't wan't to) and it was smelly. Does anyone know why it is called golden powder because mine was black and brown not golden, my first (crappy) batch was golden.

• 9 months later...

re: Creator: Do not remember.

Golden Power is also known as "Crimson Powder".

look with a search engine and see who it is attributed to if you want to know.

-aquataur

Not quote I believe crimson powderis a different formula (it contains red iron oxide) thus making it red or "crimson.

• 2 years later...

I use the GoldenPowder formula since 2005. My chem teacher , teach me about the procedure of making GP. It's good but not the best. For me , BP is the best way to lift a shell.Here in Romania I try to buy smme KClO4 but here is not available.Can u offer me a chemichals company name maybe in Europe , a good one. Maybe from Spain??? help pls

try http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/ they have lot of chemicals from oxidizers to metals and even dyes so give it an try.

i almost forgot you will have to pay the shipping which isn't good for your bank account but aside from that they offer

good service and pretty cheap chemicals compared to other suppliers.

or you can always try ebay :D ( but do not expect too much from ebay)

Edited by kaizoku

On their terms page, they all but outright say they don't ship chemicals internationally. You may need to find a new source.

man you are right sir :(.

then try pyrogate.eu they sell visco fuses, dyes, sulfur.

http://www.colored-smoke.eu they sell kclo3 everything that is needed for make smoke bombs

and they even ship to the whole world except for pyrogate.eu they ship to Europe only excluding of

of the European country's. here is an list of it http://www.pyrogate.eu/uploads/shipping_pyrogate.jpg

and they provide good service.

I still have no idea why you guys want to experiment with golden powder.

It's dangerously high explosive when heated for to long, has a limited shelflife because it's hygroscopic and has no place in pyrotechnics.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
Could you use sodium carbonate instead of potassium carbonate for "real" the KNO3, ascorbic acid, k carbonate mixture?

I still have no idea why you guys want to experiment with golden powder.

It's dangerously high explosive when heated for to long, has a limited shelflife because it's hygroscopic and has no place in pyrotechnics.

Thank you. That was just the information I needed to skip this page :)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
It's not an explosive & it's not that dangerous, but it's safer than BP & far less toxic whilst the residue from burning golden powder is water soluble. Dont go using sodium bi-carbonate, it's Sodium Carbonate, they're two different chemicals, Sodium Carbonate is caustic & sodium bi-carbonate is not.

It's not an explosive & it's not that dangerous, but it's safer than BP & far less toxic whilst the residue from burning golden powder is water soluble. Dont go using sodium bi-carbonate, it's Sodium Carbonate, they're two different chemicals, Sodium Carbonate is caustic & sodium bi-carbonate is not.

BP is toxic? Sodium carbonate is caustic? Uhh, I don't think so. Nitrate is used for curing meats. In large quantities. Think keeping corned beef pink. Sausages too. Charcoal is charcoal. Ya can shovel a quarter pound down your gullet to absorb ingested poisons (try eating a quarter pound of charcoal sometimes--it's piped in as a slurry). Sulfur is about as inert as can be, though some people might have a mild skin reaction to it; actually it's a component of several acne formulations. Probably wouldn't want to breath the dust (or most dusts, for that matter). Sodium carbonate? It's friggin' washing soda--you wash your clothes with it, ffs!! And a water softener in some systems--that you then drink. Little sister to the bicarbonate baking soda used in many baked goods. Na2CO3 is caustic? You're off your nut.

You seriously need to do some studying because you are spreading flat-out inaccurate information. In this case, harmless, but just plain wrong nonetheless.

Your chemistry knowledge is rudimentary to non-existent, your toxicology wisdom is nil, and you, appropriately, are responding to a thread written by other likely teenage and inexperienced idiots.

Nothing wrong with being stupid, but if you're really super-duper stupid and somehow convince yourself that you're a wizard? Well, that's a worrisome combination. Too common, unfortunately

Congratulations on rejuvenating a 14-year-old post, created and followed by confirmed morons, with a latest post before yours from 6 years ago. You are carrying the torch, for sure!

I'd be investing in Nomex and Kevlar for your family members.

Edited by SharkWhisperer
  • Like 1

Your a tripper, in the post they said bicarb soda or sodium bicarbonate & all i was stating is that sodium carbonate is a caustic version of sodium bicarbonate which when heated, carbon dioxide & H²O get expelled, then your left with sodium carbonate. If someone added bicarb to golden powder, it would be closer to a smoke bomb as bicarb lowers the temperature of the flame as it releases carbon dioxide. I know my chemistry & using tech grade KNO³, compared to food grade KNO³ is a big difference. Perhaps i'm not the one who needs to learn chemistry.

Oh, & if you read it properly, i wrote "far less toxic than BP" meaning the chemicals mainly used for golden powder ie: KNO³ + Vitamin C, compared to KNO³, Sulfur + Charcoal. Talk about jumping the gun, go get laid or something, sounds like you need it.

SharkWhisper, if you're going to attack everyone who mis-steps or you don't agree with just leave the forum and save me the trouble of banning you.

In any case, sodium carbonate is caustic. The solid can irritate, attack, blister, and burn skin. Concentrated solutions can do the same. At the same time, I have no idea why it was even brought up. There were only two mentions of bicarbonate earlier, and it was stated that it's probably not all that useful anyway. First of all, it was suggested to be 1-2% of golden powder. Secondly, the very brief discussion about carbonate was in relation to Crimson Powder. Thirdly, carbonate or bicarbonate will become neutralized when exposed to ascorbic acid anyway if you use the aqueous preparation. Which one you use or if you use it at all is basically irrelevant.

Also, charcoal and sulfur are less toxic than ascorbic acid based on the toxicity data I've seen. Not that any of them are even remotely toxic. Calling this far less toxic is at best a huge stretch if not outright BS. I wouldn't try to use that as a justification.

SharkWhisper, if you're going to attack everyone who mis-steps or you don't agree with just leave the forum and save me the trouble of banning you.

Mumbles are you open to a bribe ?

What's it going to take ?

Tooling ?

Chems ?

Cash ?

I could start a gofundme page. We'd probably have plenty of contributors ;)

Tooling ?

Chems ?

Cash ?

I could start a gofundme page. We'd probably have plenty of contributors ;)

Carbon, in terms of forum readership opinions of quality of information provided, based solely on "likes"/posts ratio, we're pretty similar: You are 55/423 posts=13% recognized positive responses. I am 77/494 posts=16% recognized positive responses. About the same.

So, personalities aside, in terms of quality of information delivered, the numbers might suggest our inputs are of equivalent value. We've both been doing fireworking for many years.

I don't have a personal beef with you, and am asking you not to continue yours with me.

BP is toxic? Sodium carbonate is caustic? Uhh, I don't think so. Nitrate is used for curing meats. In large quantities. Think keeping corned beef pink. Sausages too. Charcoal is charcoal. Ya can shovel a quarter pound down your gullet to absorb ingested poisons (try eating a quarter pound of charcoal sometimes--it's piped in as a slurry). Sulfur is about as inert as can be, though some people might have a mild skin reaction to it; actually it's a component of several acne formulations. Probably wouldn't want to breath the dust (or most dusts, for that matter). Sodium carbonate? It's friggin' washing soda--you wash your clothes with it, ffs!! And a water softener in some systems--that you then drink. Little sister to the bicarbonate baking soda used in many baked goods. Na2CO3 is caustic? You're off your nut.

You seriously need to do some studying because you are spreading flat-out inaccurate information. In this case, harmless, but just plain wrong nonetheless.

Your chemistry knowledge is rudimentary to non-existent, your toxicology wisdom is nil, and you, appropriately, are responding to a thread written by other likely teenage and inexperienced idiots.

Nothing wrong with being stupid, but if you're really super-duper stupid and somehow convince yourself that you're a wizard? Well, that's a worrisome combination. Too common, unfortunately

Congratulations on rejuvenating a 14-year-old post, created and followed by confirmed morons, with a latest post before yours from 6 years ago. You are carrying the torch, for sure!

I'd be investing in Nomex and Kevlar for your family members.

Shark that was a good comment about how black powder is not really that toxic and charcoal absorbing poison. But just calm down a little bit man. You can still tell him he needs to get his facts straight in a bit less abrasive manner. Still a good catch with the comment of black powder and toxicity.

Edited by yardarmwheeze
  • Like 1

Mr whisperer, i was just giving the right information to an old post since i read some discrepancies. Yeah i replied to an old post, so what ? I get awesome flash powder from that composition. If you were in my face being that rude, like your reply to my post, i would've cracked you one there & then. I'm not a violent person, but i choose to be fairly respectful & help others, but with my background i don't take no crap. Another thing, if you know so much & think your so smart, then there are a lot of old posts from members questioning that need an answer & how to safely go about doing it.

On another note, thanks for saying that Mumbles. Also Crimson powder doesn't use sodium carbonate as the formula is mixed by weight at the Ratio 12:8:1 Potassium Nitrate + Ascorbic Acid + Ferric Oxide. The golden powder 2nd formula with Potassium Nitrate + Ascorbic Acid + sodium carbonate, converts the sodium carbonate to carbonic acid. Sulfur we use in fireworks (flowers of sulfur etc) is ok topically, maybe ingesting a little may be ok but not too much as it's not food grade. What will work is Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) that is ok for consumption & if you ingest charcoal, sure it will make your back end breeze less toxic, but also all your medication can be thrown away as charcoal will absorb it, but it has to be activated charcoal & not your fireworks type charcoal as that won't do squat. I'm not sure where this information comes from but please look it up if you have to, i'm not wrong.

;)

I’ll be making some beef jerky soon... :D

• Like 1