APC Forum

Shilham Boilie Roller Stars

NightHawkInLight

I got a question earlier today about making stars with a shilham boilie roller, which I had never heard of before seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZpYnoBczs

Looks like an expensive set of tools to make stars with, but I thought it was interesting enough to consider. I suppose it would have to be done without using a sausage skin like is shown in the video, and therefore only work with comps that hold themselves together well and aren't too sticky.

Edit: Actually it looks like there isn't a skin used in the video, i was mistaken.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

made many a boilie myself, quite a few threads exist here and ukps, so far no one has come up with a suitable composition for extruding and rolling, i still have ideas but just that.

You can get cheap field rolling kits, the materials dont suit solvent use which is where the first problem starts.

Alc should be fine but the comps wont adhere well enough to stand the abuse imho,

water will require so much of it that they would collapse if dryer they would crumble,

One of my many ideas on this was to use egg albumen powder as a co binder for better consistency.

The density of boilies helps them hold together until they are cooked, once the eggs set you can handle them but they are still soft enough to squish if you squeeze, like stars they must be dried to gain strength.

Protiens and various meal powders help the binding/bond before cooking.

The only thing holding me on testing my ideas is my experience or lack of with pyro binders, and a metal rolling table.

Dan.

Because of the color and consistency of what is shown in the video, it makes me think it would work well to use a still warm lump of rcandy, if for whatever reason you would want smoke stars for daylight shells.

the thought never entered my head but yes it could be suitable if it was not slippery, there needs to be friction on the comp in order to form the balls it must feel resistance from both sufaces of the table.

Modifying rcandy to suit the method is the best ( really, after the obvious has been cancelled ) idea.

Metal powders are out because of the cooking and the possibility of uneven heating/flare up.

Charcoal would add more smoke but also more slippy, mmmmm got me thinking again.

The texture of bolie mix is like bread dough, carbonates may help rcandys texture but useless for effect, may retard the burn aswell.

So we need an rcandy stars thread :)

To stay practical and realistic makes this a difficult problem to solve.

Dan.

the thought never entered my head but yes it could be suitable if it was not slippery, there needs to be friction on the comp in order to form the balls it must feel resistance from both sufaces of the table.

Modifying rcandy to suit the method is the best ( really, after the obvious has been cancelled ) idea.

Metal powders are out because of the cooking and the possibility of uneven heating/flare up.

Charcoal would add more smoke but also more slippy, mmmmm got me thinking again.

The texture of bolie mix is like bread dough, carbonates may help rcandys texture but useless for effect, may retard the burn aswell.

So we need an rcandy stars thread :)

To stay practical and realistic makes this a difficult problem to solve.

Dan.

Why in the world would you be cooking your stars?

I have thought about making stars using a boilie roller. Never did it...my board I use to make the tube that is formed into balls is a 10mm/8mm board. The roller that forms them into balls is a 10mm or a 11mm. So that is too big for my uses. Also the comp does not need to be extruded. The board that makes the sausage looking tubes is just a board that has two lips of a set height. You put a ball of dough under it then roll it back and forth. I always just made carp bait with the rollers never stars. If you can blue could become my new scopex lol.

im not, its all above.

if rcandy is used it would have to and most likely be cooked.

If you had spent nearly three years ( on and off ) fantasising over the idea and uderstood how to make boilies the idea is not so silly, rcandy is one of the only comps i know of that could suit this method it just does not offer much visual appeal and will need additives, there are few if any using the methods involved.

To stay realistic and practical is the problem, various discussions over the years have only been hypothetical scenarios, probably including this one.

The nut will eventually crack and someone will be rolling over 1000 15mm stars in an hour, without a cement mixer sized roller.

Dan.

Edit: anyone here fish for carp or cats?

Edited by dan999ification

I fish for carp....

I can try to roll some r-candy on one of my boards, but what would these balls of r-candy be good for?

Besides the obvious fishing for spirt carp with with flaming balls of spirt sugar. lol best idea i could come up with.

I fish for carp....

I can try to roll some r-candy on one of my boards, but what would these balls of r-candy be good for?

Besides the obvious fishing for spirt carp with with flaming balls of spirt sugar. lol best idea i could come up with.

Not much really, not without a metal powder or charcoal to add some effect. As Dan said you wouldn't want to cook metal powders in, but perhaps if they were mixed in while the comp was still warm but removed from the burner it would remain safe. Coarse powders shouldn't be so bad.

Take note that there isn't much info on doing such things so if you want to try it it should be treated as unknown grounds and done in very small batches for safety.

the consitancy of the extruded mass would be crucial to get this to work.

the wet mass would have to show a degree of plasicity to deform and hold together.

my guess is this would require optimum selection of binder level and binder type,

but i do think it may be possible, just needs someone to put the time in

the method is very similar to the formation of spheronised product in the pharma industry....

the little spheres that sometimes are filled into capsule shells, base formulations of which are usually

avicel(microcrystalline cellulose) / lactose / water for plasticity and to give goos extrusion

worth investigating in my opinion

i am sure this topic has been raised before

dave