APC Forum

Ammo

dynomike1

If you don't have ammo stored up you probably waited to late. 22LR $8.00 a box if you find them.

What's up with the .22LR?

The morons in D.C. Bobosan. Edited by butch

The stuff I've seen floating includes a proposed bill requiring ammo retailers to check ID in person and keep a record of who it was sold to. This I imagine would increase the cost and would eliminate online sales. I'm not overly concerned as I live near a Cabela's, but it would still be a shame. Now how is WildWilli going to give out boxes of .22lr to trick-or-treaters?

Also, I think this doesn't address the mass killer scenario at all. What suicidal mass murderer is going to care if the ammo retailer writes down his name?

Do I have this right, or is there some other proposed bill that also affects ammo?

Edited by flying fish

Where is the "spirit of '76"? :unsure:

You'll soon have European gun laws if you don't watch out :(

Most don't realize how easily that could become the case, constitution or not. All it takes is tightening down the regulation slowly enough that people don't realize how much they've lost until they look back at how little freedom they now have compared to a decade earlier. Signing a receipt doesn't seem like much after a year of having to show ID, getting a permit isn't too bad after a year of signing receipts, then a required training course, then certain ammunition disappears, which isn't a big deal because going to all the classes to own it and maintaining the specialized permit was such a pain anyway, then weapon types are taken out one by one, but by then nobody can afford the money and paperwork to own and fire them anyhow so who cares. That's why the NRA fights tooth and nail to prevent every little seemingly insignificant restriction, because there's no going back once it's implemented.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

On the bright side, there is this:

While it won't stop much of the gun regulation aimed at us, it will at least prevent the government from looking in on gun owners medical records specifically for a poorly educated bureaucrat to decide whether or not citizens are mentally fit to own a firearm. I about died laughing when I saw the bit of regulation described in the clip, for the reason that for once the politicians not reading the bills that they cast their votes on worked in our favor - If only in a brief segment of what it encompasses.

Where is the "spirit of '76"? :unsure:

Actually, it is headed more towards 1861 but with a different twist on slavery.

If your looking for ammo, magazines or guns you are out of luck. Shelves are getting bare. I work at one of the larger retail hunting store chains selling firearms. We can't keep anything in stock or even order anything right now. I was even talking to a friend working at a police Dept. they went in for training and all they got were 25 shells to shoot per person. That is the last thing I want is a cop who can't practice, most of them shoot bad enough as it is with lots of ammo available. WHOOPS did I say that out loud :blink:

I am going to have to keep hanging around here so I can figure out how to make my own tracer bullets now :D

barium and or mg are about the only options, red p is hard to come by, unless you make your own from your own.

Its a sorry state of affairs i agree with all said, they will win bit by bit giving one and taking two.

It only took one school shooting here to completely ban handguns, tha majority of gun crimes here....handguns, illegal to protect youself though one must justify using 'reasonable force'

scrutiny on legal owners getting worse, liscense applications ( want medical history ) are pointless.

Even a renewall is challenging if you dont shoot on a regular basis.

Dan.

What about Canada. Austrailla, and South Africa ? I heard they lost all of there guns.

In Australia, they used the registration database to round them all up. It was probably the same in Britain. That's a good reason for resisting registration. Unfortunately, compulsory registration would probably not violate the 2nd Amendment - but any subsequent round-up would. Of course, if respectable kids from good homes would refrain from shooting up schools, movie theaters and sidewalk political meetings, we wouldn't be having this discussion today. Nobody cares when it's just bad guys killing each other.

There will always be black powder revolvers, of course, for which you can make your own propellant and bullets. Black powder guns are not legally classed as firearms, but the 45 cal barrel sure looks like one from the business end. You just have to be certain to get your man in six, otherwise you have to ask him to wait quietly for five minutes while you reload.

In my country most utter fools think that rights are something that the state gives you. I'm more surprised that Americans tolerate this kind of oppression.

In America black powder arms may not be classified as firearms, but in any other country (including Taiwan) they are, and there's no guarantee that in the future they won't revise the definition to include air powered and blackpowder firearms.

The advantage I see for blackpowder firearms are ease of manufacturing. You can make blackpowder at home easily, you cannot make smokeless powder at home. Even if you have a full machine shop without smokeless powder and primer compounds to make ammunition, any gun you make is useless. In countries (such as Japan) with strict gun laws, you cannot simply go and buy smokeless powder. Sure you can try and make it yourself by nitrating cotton but it would be a lot of exploding guns before you got the process (% nitration, single/double base for example) down.

Ok what about robberies, killings in other countries that don't have guns. It's a fact once the Government takes your firearms the have complete control.

What country are you in Potassium? Is BP firearms leagle in Taiwan?

What country are you in Potassium?

Sweden. I can never understand the majority of my countrymen. They are incredibly naïve. Gun owners here usually support infringements on gun ownership, because they have blind faith in the authorities :mellow:

even a good air rifle is restricted here the limit on legal ones is 16ftlb or joules cant remember but its not enough to kill pidgeons humanely (some of my catapults have more power and velocity) a good one with external hpa is about as tightly controlled as most ''real'' arms since they are able to injure things bigger than vermin.

About the only reasons youd be granted a liscense is for pest control on your own land, competition shooting, still very tightly controlled, if youve ever been depressed...forget about it, or if you happen to be a lord and hunt your own deer, 99 percent of the public need not apply at all.

Then theres being granted a cert but not being allowed to keep your own guns, existing holders must help......with how protective people are of their rights very unlikely, unless family based.

Without firearms people find other inventive ways to kill eachother knife crime has quadroupled since banning handguns, id rather be shot.

Soon you'll be arrested for assault if you hit your burgular with bare hands just like here or imprisoned if you shoot dead or not.

I dont really believe in the illuminati theorists but its looking bad, control the people...control the money, the only resistance will be legally allowed orderly protests, like that works, we''ll hear you out....then do nothing.

Bury your guns until the apocalypse :)

i also think in a few years when the majority of the public in usa accepts this ie the bigger pc cities the amnestys will start and they will be given the weapons without taking them, because they cant.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

and the cost to American taxpayers for all this hoplophobic response?

"The total cost of the president's proposals is estimated at $500 million"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-unveils-sweeping-plan-battle-gun-violence-165956859--politics.html

Taiwan's gun laws are extremely restrictive, like Japan. The only thing allowed are airsoft guns and I think the legal limit is 20 joules. The problem is gun law violations carry a minimum sentence of 5 years, and people do modify their airguns to hit harder. The problem is if authorities tested it, and it goes one joule over, you go to prison for at least 5 years. Basically anything that can kill is treated like a real firearm. Bows and arrows aren't regulated but crossbows are. Blackpowder firearms are treated like any other firearms, and only aborigines are allowed to have them because they hunt as a way of life. There are provisions in the gun law allowing civilians to get a license for "self defense". Legally anyone without a criminal record can get it, and it allows one gun and 50 rounds of ammunition, but in practice it is impossible for anyone, even people working as security to get them. People smith their own guns for whatever reason, usually to commit crimes, and the government does crack down on them harshly. In fact the last "presidential attempted assassination" was committed with a homemade gun. Most people here won't test the legal waters by making any sort of firearms, the penalties are not just harsh, it's very condemning.

Criminals always seem to be able to arm themselves, even in countries where guns are banned. I have a little anecdote about that, a bit off topic, but quite interesting.

I had some friends in Britain who owned a restaurant. When it closed at about 2am, the manager would put the day's takings through their letter box (a slot in the front door, for USA-ites). Well, one night when they were in bed, they heard the money come in, and then two minutes later a great CRASH as their front door was kicked in - the money was of course snatched. They called the police, who showed up twenty minutes later and were at first not very interested, but then they found a couple of shells that the robber had dropped. When they realized he was armed they became very interested indeed, and ten minutes later the whole area was crawling with cops.

A lot of houses got raided that night and the next day, but no arrests were made. Then the day after that, a guy in his 20s stumbled into a police station and confessed to the robbery. It seems the local bad guys got fed up with the attention they were getting, so they persuaded him to do the right thing by breaking both his arms.

Taiwan's gun laws are extremely restrictive, like Japan. The only thing allowed are airsoft guns and I think the legal limit is 20 joules. The problem is gun law violations carry a minimum sentence of 5 years, and people do modify their airguns to hit harder. The problem is if authorities tested it, and it goes one joule over, you go to prison for at least 5 years.

I can't see the "toy" airsoft guns obtaining 20J of energy. That would be 447 m/s (supersonic) with the typical 0.2g ammo.

I doubt very much that it has 20J power. A "real" airgun, with a muzzle velocity of 200m/s has an impact of 10J.