APC Forum

Best flame enlarger - 2% stearine or 2% chlorowax?

Potassiumchlorate

Opinions?

I'm thinking of lowering the amount of barium chlorate in my green compositions considerably and raise the resin. Something like this:

Barium chlorate 75

Red gum 20

Stearine or chlorowax 2

SGRS 3

According to Shimizu, you will get the hottest organic flame with 75% of potassium chlorate, potassium perchlorate or ammonium perchlorate and 25% shellac. I mentioned this in another thread. It's pretty reasonable to believe that barium chlorate will have a similar temperature. In that case the "classical" 9:1 composition has far too much barium chlorate. But since it's very much over-fueled with 25% fuel, it might be a good idea to use a small amount of something that is "hungry" for oxygen and will enlarge the flame. Stearine is good, but chlorowax might also enlarge the flame, since paraffin is "hungry" too and will also give more chlorine to the flame.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

It's not a good idea to use Ba chlorate alone in a formula: it will burn slower, it will be harder to ignite depending on the fuel and it will be more expensive.

Chlorowas will NOT enlarge any flame. It's just a chlorine donor for us and it acts like a fire retardant for others.

The idea is to enhance your formula with your username, and keep the typical deep green color.

Thus, a good starting formula for you is from Lancaster:

Barium Chlorate 53

Potassium Chlorate 28

Red Gum 10

Charcoal Airfloat 5

Dextrin 4

I tried that one. It's not satisfying. It's not as deep as pure barium chlorate/resin. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

The stochiometric mix 88:12 almost burns like strobe, at least in stars. In Bengal illuminations it's perfectly OK, though.

The stochiometric mix with red gum, burning all carbon to carbon dioxide, is 86:14.

75:25 will burn slower but at the hottest and brightest, it seems, although not that fast. I make these stars pretty small anyway.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I have a Question about Dechlorane and its value as a donor , and the fuel value as it applies to strobe ( I know it it best to have little to no fuel value). I would love to utilize it due to its value as a high% Donor like 70% or higher .