APC Forum

small hemis for lift cups

Excal

Will this thing lay flat when the lift goes off? Haven't purchased,,just curious.

Read all the threads on lift cups and was just curious if a well wrapped 1/2 hemi would focus the charge. a more for less theory that is floating around in there. The cup would have to rest on a little ?? stand to keep it more or less aimed correctly,,,uhhh,,,maybe.

I realize that all tubes and associations are not created equal, so that shell or ball is dragging up one side or the other during release.

Wax the inside of the tube?,,build some shell sabots of some form?.

Dixie cups are probably cheaper, that's all i use. There also kinda water proof.

I've seen all sorts of things used as lift cups, including a smaller sized hemi, and as long as they serve the purpose of keeping the lift charge under the shell, you should be good to go. Edited by nater

Keep in mind that whatever you leave in the bottom of a mortar can burn in the mortar and needs to be removed.

-dag

The smaller hemi may not be big enough to hold all the lift that is needed. If you are using homemade powder, it sometimes takes up a lot of space, and that space maybe more than the hemi has to offer. Like Dag said, it will also leave junk in the mortar. Dixie cups would be a lot cheaper, or just place the lift in some paper tissue or bag and cover it.

The smaller hemi may not be big enough to hold all the lift that is needed. If you are using homemade powder,

That's the thing i forgot to add, Not homemade BP. .Swiss triple f and double f is what I have available.

Could a person score the bottom of the hemi to vent the gas down first, or will that basically detonate everything?. The idea behind that thought was to carry/blow the majority of the trash out the tube, taking the lift cup with it.

Extra trash clinging onto the shell is going to disrup the break I would imagine.

Edited by Excal

Nothing is detonating here. The lift hemi will most likely stay in the gun, regardless of the holes you put in it. Nothing on the shell is going to affect what's inside the shell, what's inside is what is going to affect the break. The shell also does not need help getting out of the tube, no waxing is required.

That's the thing i forgot to add, Not homemade BP. .Swiss triple f and double f is what I have available.

Could a person score the bottom of the hemi to vent the gas down first, or will that basically detonate everything?. The idea behind that thought was to carry/blow the majority of the trash out the tube, taking the lift cup with it.

Extra trash clinging onto the shell is going to disrup the break I would imagine.

Depending on the shell size, Catsup cups (paper) work very well for 3" and down. the cup will open up and will stay in the mortar like Psyco says. Cleaning out mortars is a rule in my club, nothing is loaded until they are cleaned.

-dag

Stacks of these cups can and will cause a under lift if not removed . The fire hazard is a very good point addressed by the fellows above.

I used to use dixie cups but have been using plastic sandwhich bags for a while now. I tape it to the bottom of the shell with masking tape, then cover it up with gummed kraft tape. It's a little more work but the shell will look more professional and it won't leave as much debris in the gun.

maybe using lift cups is better for storage and reloading quickly, but i just stick fuse in the bottom, pour the BP in the mortar, and insert my shell wraped in tissue, for tighter fit. this allow the preasure to build up, then it pushes the shell nicely, and tissue, just wents away from the shell, creating no friction. since i do not need fast reloading, i'm very happy with this method, i get nice, high enough lifts. the biggest ones i made was only 2". when i'm gonna buy some 3" and bigger mortars, i will be forced to use lift cups then.

Hi,

I'm a newbie amd maybe is my first question out of topic but..

Do you make hemis yourself or do you buy one. I mean half hemis for round shells. If do can you tell me how or can you direct me to proper topic.

Sorry if I didn't write to correct topic,

Regards,

Actually, if you browse around a bit, especially in the Tools and Tooling section you will find several different methods for building forms and such to make your own. You can also buy them from various suppliers, again, take a look around, you'll find several names of places to pick up all kinds of materials and tools.