APC Forum

Friction start for 3mm Visco.

TritonPyro

Because of the windy conditions in Kent, it was a pain to light fuse. I do not know if this is the forum, but I have a very cheap, simple and a no match start device that can be made in batches in 15 minutes. Put together correctly, it works all the time. If its okay, I will continue if the head guys Okays it. ( and its safe ).

I can't answer your question on whether or not that is allowed for discussion but would like to add that a full sized propane or MAPP gas torch will not give you any trouble in the wind and will put more distance between you and the thing you are lighting. The Bernzomatic TS4000 for instance is a popular choice amoung pyros. Click on, release off, works every time in all weather conditions (I swear I don't work for Bernzomatic!)

I really wish BernzOmatic has a distributor in Taiwan... at the moment I use a torch that hooks onto a stove can that works more or less the same. Really cheap but sometimes the torch falls off the can because it's one of those thing that fits on by friction. I should have brought it to the last shoot (because I burned my finger lighting fuses, and a punk really sucks)

I can't answer your question on whether or not that is allowed for discussion but would like to add that a full sized propane or MAPP gas torch will not give you any trouble in the wind and will put more distance between you and the thing you are lighting. The Bernzomatic TS4000 for instance is a popular choice amoung pyros. Click on, release off, works every time in all weather conditions (I swear I don't work for Bernzomatic!)

I have two of them myself but when it gets to -20°F, the gas will not light. I found that a little jacket of bubble wrap and a hand warmer keeps the gas warm enough to fire when its that cold. I pull friction starter sure sounds good when its that cold.

-dag

I have used my torch in the snow and sleet, but never at -20. In fact I can only think of once or twice when I have been out when the ambient temperature was that cold. I bet the typical Indiana winter is like a sauna for Dag. Edited by nater

Because of the windy conditions in Kent, it was a pain to light fuse. I do not know if this is the forum, but I have a very cheap, simple and a no match start device that can be made in batches in 15 minutes. Put together correctly, it works all the time. If its okay, I will continue if the head guys Okays it. ( and its safe ).

I've got something like that I've used myself, but only on smokes for paintball games and such. I wouldn't dare use anything like that on shells where life and limb could be the cost of tripping over a fuse in the dark.

I have used my torch in the snow and sleet, but never at -20. In fact I can only think of once or twice when I have been out when the ambient temperature was that cold. I bet the typical Indiana winter is like a sauna for Dag.

No, we put on long pants and a t-shirt when it gets that cold. ;)

-dag

The whole idea is that the device is already fused. This item is retrofitted JUST before firing with a fuse connector. It is not meant for all situations obviously, but comes in useful at certain times. When NH light said for paintball etc , that is what I made it for. I ignite shells with e match anyway.

Is this like those "match crackers"?

Those things make me nervous. I heard stories of them going off as soon as you strike them.

Those things make me nervous. I heard stories of them going off as soon as you strike them.

You don't need to hear stories to realize there's a chance of that. You can't even see a length of fuse on those that you can trust for some delay. Could be a bubble or crack below the surface on the striker and your hand would be done for. Scary, stupid things those are.

I never said i condoned "match crackers". Holding any amount of borderline high explosive in your hand while applying sufficient stimuli to initiate) it is quite stupid.

There were however (for those of you who have never seen one before) crackers that would have a tube of paper at the bottom to hold on to. The tube was solid, and contained no flash. They were labeled (or at least most of them were) with the fuse time.

of course this fuse was not always reliable. I never lit one myself but from second hand accounts the fuse was actually better then the ones on standard crackers. (I can not vouch for this because A I never messed with the and B they were banned for being TOO DANGEROUS.)

I did meet a man who was drunk and was lighting them and trowing them into a pond...He was too drunk or a fuse was bad...One blew up in his hand...it was not a small one...He said his hand felt sore the next day and had cuts one it, and it was burned...But he still has 10 fingers as of last week. (that was the last i heard of him so past then i can not say anything).

This friction device ignites the tip of the fuse. If you are stupid enough to have a short fuse ....then that's your problem

A number of years ago we were in Ely Minnesota shooting some 3# rockets with 100 gram headers.

Later in the night as it got colder we had problems igniting the fuses.

Our last few rockets that made into the sky that night suffered extensive problems from the cold.

The first rocket made it to its designed altitude and as the flash in the header ignited it let out half a boom and

the intense light froze in the air.

Our last rocket made it midway in its flight and froze in mid-air, stuck in time.

To this day, in the summer as the temperatures rise above freezing, you can still see the light from these rockets.

This is now become what has been phrased the Northern Lights.

Now you all know how cold it gets in Minnesota.

There should be no reason you can't post about your friction igniter. We have some other threads on similar devices. If there was an issue with the topic, you would know about it already. I know I would like to see this igniter you are talking about, and I'm sure other would too. Please post about it.

I agree, plus Mumbles probably would have shut it down by now if he wasn't OK with it. The idea does make me cringe a bit but I would think as long as it was kept well away from other pyro until it is ready for use it would probably be fine. Now that we are done hijacking your thread...haha...

I doubt anyone here would make match crackers... these are commercial products, and the lack of a fuse (that I can see) does make me a bit nervous. Plus in order to light them you have to hold it in your hand, which is something that warning labels says to NOT do. I have never seen them in the US, only in Taiwan (and probably elsewhere like Poland) probably because of these dangers. They use a lot more than 50mg in firecrackers here, so if one went off in your hand the damage can be greater.

there have been other threads about "pull igniters", don't see a problem

If there is it will be addressed

Pull igniters have been used in HE applications for years.

I have seen commercial cherrybomb firecrackers in ND just last year what looks like atleast 1-2 g of F. These will blow a 2 x 4 in 20 pieces no problems. They were titled soccerballs I beleive. Also, the plastic casing on these is 1/64", hardly any confinment. If you bust one open and light the flash in a pile, it self confines. Now, your thinking: these are obviously illegal ground salutes, so heres the catch. The back was labled "warning: emits crackling sparks. Set on ground, ect..." There we're two or three dragon eggs in there with bunches of flash. So, there primary effect was not the noise, it was the crackles. But of course, there is no way you could see or hear the crackling over the light and deftening noise of the flash!

On topic, I could see pull igniters as being safe if they are not applied to the fuse until you are right about to use them, not sitting on there for a half hour, not set up before a show. But, walk up to the fuse, slip one on, and pull.

Just an idea, maybe you can tape a match to the fuse, so when it comes time to light it you just strike the match.

I doubt it would work. What about a little chlorate-sulfur-abrasive as friction comp, pasted onto the end of black match?

Have you guys taken a look at this thread? It's an older tutorial one of the formerly active members did. He still stops by occasionally. The pictures are dead for now, but I'll see if I can't get that fixed.

I was not impressed with those soccer balls.

And yes, regardless of the label, they are still not compliant with CPSC and other regs. Big grey area and that is all I have to say.