APC Forum

Cutting Independence Red

Wiley

Is it possible to produce a cut star from Independence Red using 5% dextrin as the binder, or will the strontium nitrate prevent the stars from ever drying out? I'm interested in this because Independence Red burns nice and slow when bound with dex/water, but really fast when bound with acetone (or so I've heard). Any comments, or suggestions?

sure, shouldn't be a problem if you have good quality strontium nitrate, it's the impurities that cause problems

Indy red is my favorite

I bind mine with acetone, they still burn pretty slow. I can't say its not faster than with water, but they don't burn 'fast' when bound with acetone.

There are about 5 published red formulas that came from Independence Fireworks. You guys may want to clarify which ones you're using.

Straight from my notes:

Independence Red:

Strontium nitrate 50

MgAl -200 mesh 18

Parlon 16

Red gum 10

Dextrin 5

Note: Great formula, very bright, very red and slow burning. Sizzles a bit as it burns. Bind with Acetone (Alcohol will not work) and prime with 'Hot Changing Relay' then BP.

In my experience, strontium nitrate based comp takes a lot longer to fully dry than other comps...

In my experience, strontium nitrate based comp takes a lot longer to fully dry than other comps...

They may never fully dry

My favorite too!

I use pvb & ~12% isopropanol for binding.

Rock hard after 2 days, flash-proofif the prime lights.

For NYE I used 3% in all stars to be sure, but 1.5 percent might suffice, I never really had time to find out the minimum but allready used stars with 2% without problems.

I found that PVB inhibits the burn. In comparisons on the ground with properly dried barium nitrate greens to rule out water content's influence, 2% pvb vs. 5% dextrine, the latter was faster.

With 5% pvb it burns really slow and a little erratically. Especially when no burn-smoothing stuff like redgum is around.

In my experience some stars becoming useless that way, the will be blown out in the air no matter how hard you prime them.

It also seems the prime needs to be a little stronger with PVB in general.

Besides, pvb can be used in glitters - I made side by side comparisons with 3% PVB and 5% dextrine in D1 and N1, there was absolutely no difference.

Apart from drying time and shelf life :)

Edited by mabuse00