APC Forum

3" vs 4" shell

TYRONEEZEKIEL

It has been a long while since I have been active here, but my interest has been sparked yet again for pyro. I just recently used up the last of my 3" shells and I am considering wanting to upgrade to 4" shells. I know it is a good step for me to grow, but I am interested in more of the capabilities of a 4" shell vs a 3" shell. I know that the volume difference is considerably larger which will allow more stars and effects etc.

At any rate, I would like to get your input on your experiences with a 4" shell vs a 3"

Also if you wouldnt mind, if you have the info handy will you post the lift time on a 3" and 4" shell I dont have my chart handy, and I will be out of internet connection

Thanks again for your input. I truly appreciate it.

skylighter has a chart somewhere that tells you how much lift to use for a given size... Most go for 1/10th of the shell's weight.

For a 4" ball, I use 3 seconds of fuse. Lift, go with 1/10th, if you are using home made powder, it's always better to over lift than have it break low. 1/10th is not really that over lifted, it's my general rule of thumb for small ball shells, makes figuring lift amounts in your head super easy also.

I say go for the upgrade, I still like making 4" shells, they are a nice size. Plan for using more materials, they do consume quite a bit more than 3" shells do.