APC Forum

cplmac's 2 stage v2.0

cplmac

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2502/5/58/0/58/36/0/36580058511_0_ALB.jpg

This one was much more successful, the video sucks and the rocket went to high for the report to be heard well.

That was a nice rocket! God work. Man that went far, shame you couldn't hear the report, I bet it was loud ;). Unfortunate about the video quality, I would've liked to see that in better quality.

btw what type of charcoal are you using for this and how thin is the nozzle. Or is that confidentialhttp://www.apcforum.net/forums/style_images/Vampire--536/icon14.gif

That's a whistle rocket, it doesn't use any charcoal; no nozzle either.

cplmac, I'm just curious because I've never seen diagrams on 2 stage rockets, but are you using 1 stick with a breakaway lower stage, or is it more like 2 rockets with 2 sticks stacked and the first rocket just breaks away?

This would make a perfect tutorial BTW.

*edit* Ah-HA, never mind, I just noticed that you just explained this in your post for the first 2 stage you made.

It's pretty easy, just press the first stage with a smaller than normal delay, and press the second stage as a normal rocket. take a small tube whose OD matches your motors ID and glue it to the inside of the top of your first stage, then slide it into the bottom of your second stage. Glue and tape your second stage to the stick very securely, make sure the first stage is aligned straight on the stick and pressed up against the bottom of your second stage firmly and attach it to the stick with one wrap of masking tape. You need this motor to easily eject off the stick when the second fires so don't secure it very well, just make sure it is basically held in position under the second stage so when it fires it carries the rocket up instead of coming off and going wherever it wants.