APC Forum

Aerial Shells File - New Year's Shells

AirCowPeacock

I think what you are looking for is the Gallery section up at the top of the page. Set yourself up with one and you can upload the pics there and link to them in your thread.

Shell looks good, I'm eager to see a video.

Looking good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing some video. I'm still building mine as well, gotta close them up in the morning and paste them on the machine by the afternoon so they dry in time.

This is my contraption for New Years, made it tonight (30th), it's drying right now in the box. Opening red pistil with a ring of reports with silver to red stars on them, followed by 4 shells of white strobe and a few FeTi streamers. And a Bottom Shot!!!!!!!!!!! All in a 6" ball.

med_gallery_1558_12_43152.jpg

• Like 1

This is my contraption for New Years, made it tonight (30th), it's drying right now in the box. Opening red pistil with a ring of reports with silver to red stars on them, followed by 4 shells of white strobe and a few FeTi streamers. And a Bottom Shot!!!!!!!!!!! All in a 6" ball.

You're going to have video right?

nowt wrong with variety, that shell is the pyro equivalent of a christmas hamper ;)

Its just rockets for me.. only 3 hours to go

post-10522-0-95180300-1356986906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

Psyco, did you "paste" those shells and bottom shot with that pressure sensitive kraft tape? If so, good luck. I could never get that garbage to stick to itself, which lead to fire leaks.

It seems to sort of stick to itself, about as much as any other kind of tape, considering it has to unroll easily. I would agree that it's not a very good long term tape, it kind of rebounds and comes un stuck in areas. I had some fiberglass cloth tape that did the same thing, I think it's because of the thickness, it tries to pry itself back off.

But no, they are not "pasted" with it, just merely an outer wrap for some extra fire protection. They are really taped up with lots of fiberglass tape! :P

Yes, there will be video.

Good looking bunch of rockets Col, I'd almost consider trading you stashes!

Edited by psyco_1322

nowt wrong with variety, that shell is the pyro equivalent of a christmas hamper ;)

Its just rockets for me.. only 3 hours to go

post-10522-0-95180300-1356986906_thumb.jpg

can not wait to see them :P

About didn't get it on video, camera switched to displaying pictures while I was running. I was busy making sure the camera was going to pay a lot of attention to the first half the shell, but I think I got good ignition on the salutes, just not all the stars attached to them. The inserts shells drown out the sound of the ring in the video, but it looked and sounded lovely in person. I am pretty sure there is a shooting star that passed behind it also, I can't figure the streak at the top of the video is something from the shell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsCddubKGA

Edited by psyco_1322

About didn't get it on video, camera switched to displaying pictures while I was running. I was busy making sure the camera was going to pay a lot of attention to the first half the shell, but I think I got good ignition on the salutes, just not all the stars attached to them. The inserts shells drown out the sound of the ring in the video, but it looked and sounded lovely in person. I am pretty sure there is a shooting star that passed behind it also, I can't figure the streak at the top of the video is something from the shell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsCddubKGA

Looked and sounded good to me, nice work :) Definitely looked like a shooting star in the background..did you make a wish?

I can sympathise with your camera glitching, mine refused to focus on a yankie flashing star shell.. i`ve never had any luck with them until now..typical ;)

http://youtu.be/I4TBHa9NerQ

Edited by Col

I didn't even notice the star until I watch the video a few times.

Nice rockets! Those Yankie Flash stars are interesting, the time I made them, and got them to light, they were about twice as slow as yours. You could see falling orange balls and they would randomly flash 2-3 times each. Really cool effect.

Edited by psyco_1322

I think the secret is minimum milling time and to use as little water as possible. The stars were pumped 3/8" diameter x 3/8" deep, dusted with meal when they were partially dry. They produced 6 flashes in a ground test. Well worth persevering with as they`re a nice (cheap) star when they work.

Nice rockets mate,

I use 1m lengths of 21.5mm pvc overflow pipe cable tied to a hinged frame for launching rockets, none stuck so far. Screwfix sells 10 x 3m for £12.90 :)