Modified composition:

Strontium nitrate 36

Potassium chlorate 36

Sulfur 12

Shellac 4

Phenolic resin 2

Fine charcoal 1

PVC 1

Although I used equal amounts of strontium nitrate and potassium chlorate, it burned a bit sluggish. Chertier's copper might have made it burn faster.

Although I didn't fire this from a star gun, I used phenolic resin as a binder. The burst charges back then must have been pretty weak, or 4.3% of shellac as a binder might never had worked.

This is a dangerous composition, since it contains potassium chlorate and sulfur. If you try it, it is totally at your own risk.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Yes. It was called "crimson" in the original text. With 4.3% Chertier's copper - a copper chlorate/ammonia complex - it would most probably have burned faster and with a little more crimson colour.

I consider it relatively safe to mix chlorates with sulfur if using an alcohol soluble binder, although I can't guarantee it, of course.

I would want a nice thick and strong prime on chlorate-sulfur stars if I used 'em, even though they probably don't need it. Just so I don't have to worry about it after I make them.

That original comp just looks like a mix of some bad chemicals, which happened to burn red.

Well, I wanted to try an old organic red and see what it looked like. I have tried the original ratio strontium nitrate:potassium chlorate too, and you get a nice Bengal fire with it.

Mercurous chloride is a really lousy chlorine donor, it seems. Potassium chlorate itself has about twice the chlorine content.

Chertier's copper might be interesting, though, but it is very dangerous. From what I understand, it was an accident with Chertier's copper, not with potassium chlorate - or at least the potassium chlorate was not to blame - that lead to the ban of chlorate/sulfur compositions in the UK already in 1875.