APC Forum

The brightest whitte strobing pot

Atrey

Sorry for my English.

This composition was made by old patent Aureos light for gas.

Frequence is fast but not like Blue strobe pots.

NH4ClO4 57%

Magnalium 200M 24%

K2Cr2O7 5%

Ce(SO4)2 13%

Th(NO3) 1%

% are by weight.

Bind with NC.

Ce(SO4)2 13%

Th(NO3) 1%

boy, that's some exotic composition... where would you get either of those?

• Like 1

Wouldn't care to play with Cesium in that manner either. From Wikipedia:

"Although the element is only mildly toxic, it is a hazardous material as a metal and its radioisotopes present a high health risk if released into the environment."

Ce isn´t Caesium. Ce is Cerium and it is not very toxic. I suppose it, being a lanthanide, is pretty expensive, though.

Whoops. Got my Cs and Ce mixed up there (another reason why you should never "mix from memory" any pyro comp except BP, imho).

While it's safer than Cesium, Cerium isn't something I'd care to play with either. From the (correct, this time) Wikipedia:

Cerium, like all rare-earth metals, is of low to moderate toxicity. Cerium is a strong reducing agent and ignites spontaneously in air at 65 to 80 °C. Fumes from cerium fires are toxic. Water should not be used to stop cerium fires, as cerium reacts with water to produce hydrogen gas. Workers exposed to cerium have experienced itching, sensitivity to heat, and skin lesions. Animals injected with large doses of cerium have died due to cardiovascular collapse. Cerium(IV) oxide is a powerful oxidizing agent at high temperatures and will react with combustible organic materials. While cerium is not radioactive, the impure commercial grade may contain traces of thorium, which is radioactive. Cerium serves no known biological function.

I don't know if one should be as concerned by the fumes from a comp containing 13% cerium sulfate as one should that is 90% barium chlorate.