APC Forum

AdmiralDonSnider

I could need some advice to produce the effect I am searching for in golden glitter comets. Like every year I did not have enough opportunity to pre-test everything for NYE. So I am stuck with trying and developing the best I can in the given amount of time.

The effect I want is simply a long tailed golden glitter for close-to-the audience comet batteries. No shells, no fountains, just comets (formula without processed BP if possible).

The effects I have chosen so far are Winokur 14 and 15, which are both great drossy golds on the MgAl base, great on the ground, but they lack the tail in the air and also burn quite long.

Can you recommend some long tailed golds? Looking for tried and true comet effects!

Reading Winokur I figure that speed of flight of the comets can also be an important factor in how the comets look. Would altering the lift charge to give a slower lift speed have an effect on the tail?

Comments/advice very much appreciated!

well, charcoal gives nice tail, and if you make a comp containing NaHCO3, whitch will react with sulfur to produce lots of Na2S with K2S from potassium nitrate, it would create that sparkling effect in the tail. you simply could make D1 glitter comp, just with charcoal instead of Al. i have made the comp without Al, but didn't added more charcoal, and it gave not big, but nice sparkling golden tail,it was small due to lack of fuel, so thats what i can offer.

Good suggestion, but that star won´t be a glitter without any metal. I now tried adding some % coarse charcoal extra, a suggestion given by Oglesby and one already discussed in an older thread. Let´s see how it will work; will post soon.

well you can add some metal, but much less. instead of 11 percent aluminium in D1 glitter you could add 3 and substitute the other with charcoal.